Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
esevin

How to make Win98 the default in a dual boot system

I successfully installed a dual boot Red Hat Linux 7.2 - Windows 98 last year following some simple instructions from I know no where. Linux is the default system that loads after a few seconds if I fail to select Windows. I'd like to reverse the order and make Windows the default but I've lost the instructions for how I set this up in the first place. Sounds dumb, but what can I say as I've yet to devote the time to understanding Linux.

Thanks,

Gene

What bootloader do you use? With LILO it's a simple matter of loading the file /etc/lilo.conf into a text editor and switching the positions of the Windows and Linux entries so that the one fro Windows comes before the one for Linux and then issuing the command lilo at a terminal to commit the change to the MBR. If you use GRUB then the procedure is a little different but unfortunately I can't help since I haven't invested the time into learning how it works.

Once in Linux start your favourite text editor and open /etc/lilo.conf

Just write this somewhere before the 'images' entries:

default windows

NOTE: change 'windows' for exactly the same name used as label in the image entry for your Win. I sould look like this:

image=/dev/hda1

label=windows

After editing save and make sure you run 'lilo' in a console or xterm. Watch for syntax errors and if none is reported everything should be fine and you can safely reboot and Win will be from now on your default booting OS.