Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dcxman

Deleting Windows instant messenger...

Morning all.

I made a big mistake in activating my Windows Instant Messenger. I had to set it up temporarily for my wife while my test workstation was being formatted. Even though I took off all the options in preferences to remove all the start up and integration features it still signs me on (via .net passport) with my hotmail account whenever I start Outlook Express.

Does anyone know how I can deactivate or at least wipe the .net account clean from it.

Thanks all in advance.

By the way, I'm well aware of the option in Outlook Express to uncheck the Windows Messenger sign in box but I would still like my .net account blown away. Even better, blow away Windows Messenger entirely safely from my OS.

Thanks as always in advance.

Use a text editor to open C:\WINDOWS\inf\sysoc.inf, and change

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7 to

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

That's it. Messenger will now appear in the add/remove application under Windows Components where you can uninstall it.

You will have to have show all files and unhide protected and system files checked in windows explorer options to see the inf folder.

Thanks AdamvJackson. I will give it a try.

Much appreciated Jerry Atrik for the warning. Shouldn't affect me as I am on SP3, soon to be SP4 wink

Thanks again all.

The service pack he was reffering to is for windows XP. Your using 2000 since your on service pack and 3 and 4 kind of thing. So disregard that.