Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

Office SP3 Not Installing!

You're installing this on a computer with Office 2000, and not Office 2002, right? I misread the intial release announcement and thought 'but sp2 just came out a few months ago.' Then I realized that it wasn't for Office XP. heh.

You're already running SP2?

Unlike Windows SP when it comes to office you have to install each SP in turn.

E.g

You cannot patch from Office2k, or Office2k SP1 to SP3.

You need to be running Office2k SP2 to upgrade to SP3.

I feel stupid now, yes I misread as well thinking it was Office XP SP3. I thought it was rather quick of a release as well. Boy do I feel dumb... laugh

Oh LOL

You thought it was Office XP SP3?

I guess I really should have gone backto what I was first taught when I entered the world of computers - always ask the simple questions first.

Didn't think to ask if you were running the correct version of Office smile

So, you have got your PC plugged in right?

you only need SP1a then install SP3. that is for o2k anyhow..

belto...

Quote:
You're already running SP2?

Unlike Windows SP when it comes to office you have to install each SP in turn.

E.g

You cannot patch from Office2k, or Office2k SP1 to SP3.

You need to be running Office2k SP2 to upgrade to SP3.

smile

First off let me say thanks to whomever started this thread. I don't know if I was on crack for the last month or what, but I completely missed the SP3 release announcement after looking at Microsoft's website it lists the release date as 10-21-2002 (I suppose it could be the file date).

For those of you who don't already know this Office 2000 was essentially the Windows Installer's Maiden voyage. Perhaps WMI came out first for IE or something, but to my knowledge this was the first notable Microsoft product to utilize the tool. The windows installer still has a long was to go on the development side considering you need to a PHD in their program to disable the auto-repair feature. This is of great annoyance to me, because often after I install Windows Installer Apps I'll move a program group (start menu folder, for the newbies) to some sub-folder like Image Editing, Utils, or Internet and then the Windows Installer will rebuild the icons in the orginal location. This is a wonderful feature, but it should really only happen on demand and or ignore the shortcuts. It's great that it fixes things, but at the same time it needs to take user-preferences into account.

That brings me back to Office 2000 (the maiden voyage). Patching office 2000 has been for me anyways a living hell. It seems like no matter how you do it it's fails to install without error messages, notifying that such and such file is newer. However it fails to do this in a friendly fashion. Instead it gives cyrptic error codes that make me worry.

The other problem with Microsoft's Office 2000 patches (Sp2 and lower anyways) has been that once it's installed you can't re-install it. I find that majorly frustrating, because what if when you installed the service you didn't have one of the office programs installed and then later you decide to do so. Now you can't service pack it, because the installers all report "I'm already installed have an unpleasant day!". However I suppose that all the .msi files are copied to the some auto-repair folder and perhaps new applications are service packed once a user choose to repair their installation.

I was excited when I saw SP3 I thought now that the windows installer has been out for almost 3 years perhaps things will be different, but I was sorely mistaken. More cryptic up[censored] error messages:

ScreenShot 1/4

ScreenShot 2/4

ScreenShot 3/4

ScreenShot 4/4

By the way was Office SP3 announced publicy on any news sites? I didn't see it on BetaNews, The Register, Windrivers, NT Compat, or Slashdot all of which typically list this type of release.