Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PinkPanther

How to fully remove hardware

Hello,

While attempting to install a DSL Modem, the installation failed, the machine rebooted, and the device started showing up in the Device Manager as "Unsopported Device". I need to know how to fully reset Windows XP Pro for this device, because no matter what I try now, it keeps using the failed portion of the install. Here are the details of things I have tried:

1. The driver software does not show up in add-remove, so I can not uninstall it there.

2. If I try to Update The Driver, it claims software is already installed and refuses to do anything else. This includes the automatic driver lookup AND the manual lookup, where the user can point to the path containing the driver.

3. Rescanning for hardware changes after unplugging the device and then again after re-pluging the device simply returns the "Unsopported Device" option.

4. Unistalling the device using Device Manager just removes it from the list, it does nothing for the drivers themselves.

Now, for some obvious questions: yes, the device is XP comtatible; I installed it on a different machine without problems; the problem with the first one is that power was lost right before the install finished, and now I can not reset the system.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

ok, there are two ways to try to install manually, have you tried the second?

from device manager, choose the device, click "update driver"

then click "install from a list or specified location"

then click "don't search, i will choose specified driver"

after inserting the driver cd then click "have disk" and go to the cd, then see how many devices the list comes up with, making sure you are selecting the correct device wink

hope this helps smile

oh yea, failing this, check the driver files on the cd, make sure you have disabled hidden files etc and then search for the files, delete them and do a check in the reg for these settings.

thats about the best i can suggest