Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DarkenReaper57

Reset of gateway router needed after every boot...need help

I have a network of two computers. One is running windows 98 SE and the other windows XP.

Using a Belkin 4 port Cable/DSL Gateway Router

ISP: Bellsouth Fastaccess DSL

Problem Description: Every time i reboot my windows xp pc, i need to reset the gatway router otherwise i am unable to access files on the windows 98 pc, or even access the internet. The bellsouth fastaccess connection manager program says basic connectivity AND connection to DSN are unavailable. After a router reset with the button on the back of it, i am able to do everything fine.

The strange thing is, the windows 98 PC does not have this problem, so i am thinking it is related to my settings in windows xp but that is a BIG guess. By the way, i havent been able to find out if bellsouth uses PPPoE or Dynamic IP Addressing. Could someone help me here too? It might be part of the problem cuz i think it might have to do with the router config. Thanks to anyone who helps smile

Get rid of the BellSouth connection manager software ASAP. I have a friend who does tech support for BellSouth, and that thing is major spyware. If you're unsure, just read the EULA. It states that machine identifying information is sent periodically to BellSouth for troubleshooting and connectivity enhancements. Total BS. AFAIK, BellSouth DSL (in NC anyway) uses PPoE, I'll verify this with my friend the BellSouth tech tonight and get back to you.

ok cool thx, but what throws me off is in an email they gave me a primary and secondary DNS address (the DSN addresses were not given to me from the guy who we signed up through over the phone though). Both a username and password were also given to me. For some reason my router setup tells me to keep the DNS boxes blank on teh router setup page...but arent i supposed to fill them in with the correct addresses? argh

well i have tried to manually set it..ive done it in both windows and the router config screen. same thing happens..i need to reset the router. in doing this, most of the time the settings i had on the router revert to the factory state, but everything works. how can this be? how can i fix this problem?