Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
synic

Page file bug -- Can't seem to change it?

I wasn't able to change the size and location of my swap/page file, no matter what it would stay on the last location I had properly set it. I looked at the control to switch it and it says what it was supposed to put it to, but you back out one panel to where it just says the total and the button to change the virtual memory stuff and it says the last properly set.

IE. I set the swap file to 767MB on drive F:. Then I decide to speed-disk my drives and switch the swap file to 1024MB on drive C:. Reboot. Comes up swapping to the F: drive (I can tell, my C is SCSI and the HD activity light only comes on if the IDE is being accessed) and the panel says 767MB virtual memory, but inside the control panel to change it it says 1024MB on C: and no paging file set on F:. Looking at F:\ i can see pagefile.sys still there at 767MB and nothing on C:\ ... GRrrr....

At this point I'm tired of Windows XP (Pro) and it's annoyances. I backed up all my valuable data onto CD-R and am going to reformat NTFS on both drives, to get rid of my dynamic disks (someone said it would improve performance--- well, it didn't, and you can't use partition magic or nothing on them after you change to dynamic) and to put Windows 2000 Pro back on.

Anyone know what's going on though?

For some reason i hate partition magic. it seems to mess things up easily. for the paging file stuff i can tell you under 2k nor XP i could get it to do what i want it to do so i have given up on that a long time ago. x) if you want to improve the performence of XP a little bit more, disable all the fancy shadow and fasing stuff in system properties/advanced/ under Performance click on setting and get rid of all checkmarks.

leave the rest to the OS to decide. wink life will be much easier. laugh

Quote:
For some reason i hate partition magic. it seems to mess things up easily.

I personally have used both PartitionMagic and DriveImage for work, and personal uses. I think that currently there's no better program, except perhaps Norton Ghost. In all the uses that I've had with versions 6-8 of PartitionMagic, I've never had any problems. In fact, it's actually helped solve problems that other partitioning utilities caused. Not sure exactly what problems you've been having, perhaps you could post the errors?

the problem comes when you take your computer to a computer shop and ask the service guy to reinstall windows. so the tech guy will just put the windows cd in there and soon enough finds out there are lots of problems with the installation of windows. Fdisk, whick is the simplest form of partitioning program does not delete the annoying non-dos partiotion. So he has to take the HDD out and use ghost and ghost it over with any other HDD and OS, then partition the whole thing again. frown

it you think this message is too long, yo ushold think about the tech guy in this story who has to waste a good 30 min to find out his client has used partitionmagic. !!! frown

I really like Win2k and XP CD for partitioning. it is simple, fast, reliable.

People have their own reasons to use partitionmagic.

Quote:
the problem comes when you take your computer to a computer shop and ask the service guy to reinstall windows.

Yes, yes indeed.

laugh

Quote:
For some reason i hate partition magic. it seems to mess things up easily. for the paging file stuff i can tell you under 2k nor XP i could get it to do what i want it to do so i have given up on that a long time ago. x) if you want to improve the performence of XP a little bit more, disable all the fancy shadow and fasing stuff in system properties/advanced/ under Performance click on setting and get rid of all checkmarks.
leave the rest to the OS to decide. wink life will be much easier. laugh

i did that a long long long long long time ago

Quote:

I really like Win2k and XP CD for partitioning. it is simple, fast, reliable.
People have their own reasons to use partitionmagic.

I don't use it for *making* partitions. I use it for resizing non-destructively on NTFS partitions and changing cluster sizes. That's all folks. I've been thinking of springing for a copy of HD Manager from Paragon, but it's kinda expensive (although comes with a lot of cool stuff like being able to read ext2 and ext3 partitions natively in Windows 2K/XP, convert dynamic->basic non-destructively, resize clusters, boot manager, etc).

Quote:
I've been thinking of springing for a copy of HD Manager from Paragon, but it's kinda expensive (although comes with a lot of cool stuff like being able to read ext2 and ext3 partitions natively in Windows 2K/XP, convert dynamic->basic non-destructively, resize clusters, boot manager, etc).

The new PartitionMagic 8 can read Ext2/3 partitions in Win32 as well...

ok.

i thought you can use fdisk to delete ntfs partitions, it just see's em as NON-DOS partitions. I think it depends alot on what version of fdisk you are using.

I had the same problem with my pagefile. i grabbed a copy of tweakxp, and set the option to delete the pagefile on shutdown. now i can put any size pagefile on any of my drives with ease.

i think part of the problem was that windows see's a pagefile in the old location and just continues to use it, even though you told it to use a new/different one.

so if you set your windows to delete your old pagefile at shutdown it properly creates the new partition where you told it too.

for some reason tho you can't just set pagefile = no for all hard drives reboot then set it to the hard drive of choice. That doesn't properly get rid of the old pagefile. it just keeps it and keeps using it... wierd.

but tweaking to delete the pagefile at shutdown worked great for me and solved my problem, try it.