Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Immortal

SiS beat Intel on their Dual Channel DDR Quest......

Well, i found this link roday, it seems SiS have already given some hints as to whats gonna happen.

Good thing bout this is that it supports Dual DDR333.

This means that theoretically the MAX bandwidth is gonna be 5.4Gb/s.

This is much better since it gives us OC'ers better OC results.

ENough of the chat, heres the link smile

SiS 655 Mobo

Sorry guy, this link wont work....its been censored for some reason.....? ;(

hehe you might wanna edit that link smile

I think ill still go for the intel 1, i just really like to have intel cpu with intel chipset smile and from what ive seen GB will be pretty fast anyway smile

M4, it wont let me use the link, it takes out the name and replaces it with ****** dont know why....

lol its cos its got w a r e z in the word

Its hardware zone i take it smile

Quote:
lol its cos its got w a r e z in the word

Its hardware zone i take it smile

he he - 1000th post mr m4 - laughlaughlaugh

smile Id just like to thank my friends.....family and everyone else thats made this possible frown

Quote:
smile Id just like to thank my friends.....family and everyone else thats made this possible frown

Its ok, a big hand aldies and gentlemen.....
u deserve it..LMAO laughlaugh

Well, two reasons why the SIS chipset will not be the Intel killer.

1. P4 CPU's do not need that amount of bandwidth, it is as simple as that.

The Intel GB chipset will provide 4.2GB/s which funnily enough is exactly what the P4 can use - funny coincindence? Nope, planned.

And before you start throwing in memory efficency you have to remember that the P4 itself can only achieve the 4.2GB/s in optimum conditions.

That is why GB (Dual channel PC2100) is exactly what the P4 needs, increasing the bandwidth or even using PC2700 is a waste of time.

2. It's an SIS chipset for gods sake!!

I'm sorry but SIS chipsets are never as reliable as Intel ones, even first generation Intel ones.

It has been a very long time since Intel released anything that didn't work 100% on it's first revision.

Even the 820 chipset with SDRAM (the last real failure from Intel if you like) only caused problems in some very obscure conditions - IE 99.9% of users would never have experienced the issue surroudning that setup or even had to know about it if Intel hadn't issued a full recall.

The day SIS release anything as reliable, easy to setup and generally as good as an equivilent Intel chipset is the day I literally eat various items of my own clothing that I'd wear on my head.

SiS's 735 Athlon chipset looked pretty decent when it was released. Had the Via KT266a not eclipsed it within a few months of its release I would have seriously considered buying a board based on it...

I used the SiS 645 in my Soyo Dragon, and it was pretty nice. The only issues that I had with it were usually in loading their IDE/AGP drivers (which sucked), and Debian not finding my burner properly on that box.

I'm so glad SIS has thier act together.

They provide good low cost alternatives for a P4, and I believe thier core chipset design is on the right track.

Since AMD has a plethora of chipsets available to choose form , it helps Pentium 4 sales to have a viable alternative to Intel chipsets

Well, two reasons why the SIS chipset will not be the Intel killer.

1. P4 CPU's do not need that amount of bandwidth, it is as simple as that.

The Intel GB chipset will provide 4.2GB/s which funnily enough is exactly what the P4 can use - funny coincindence? Nope, planned.

And before you start throwing in memory efficency you have to remember that the P4 itself can only achieve the 4.2GB/s in optimum conditions.

That is why GB (Dual channel PC2100) is exactly what the P4 needs, increasing the bandwidth or even using PC2700 is a waste of time.

quote]

OVERCLOCKING!!!! laugh

When u raise the FSB, you also raise the memmory bandwidth. therefore when you have the SiS chipset OC's have more benefits than with the intel one.....

Most people who own P4's at home Overclock becuase they are great for OC'ing. laugh

Total disagreement.

"Most people who own P4's at home overclock"

What rubbish, a few hardcore enthusiasts and those that must just get a few more points on their favourite benchmark do, but the majority?

No way.

The SIS chipsets have historically not been as good overclockers as the Intel ones anyway - however past experiences is of course no guarantee that new chipsets will be equally as bad.

Actually, loadsa peeps do OC their P4's.

Even a newbie can OC a P4 northwood and DO.

Have a look at tweakers forums, or any other OC forum, there are mnay people with even basic PC kowledge that OC.

and they make up what, 2% of all PC buyers?

Doubt the figure is even that high.

The majority of people realise that 2Ghz+ is alread more than enough processing power for the majority of the work they do.

In the quest to shave off that extra few second of anything, most people will OC....even with a 3.06Ghz CPU....

Or a few more points in 3DMark 2001SE, for that matter.

[Edit]

Not my machine, BTW, it's the only one I could find quickly without registering on their site.

[/Edit]

I have been usin intel boards and intel chipsets about 3 years now. you cannot OC on an intel Mother board (don't even try). but they are 100 times more reliable than any Mobo with SIS chipset. even an ASUS boards with SIS sucks. i prefer intel chipset, but i won't pay for Dual DDR untill it is approved that it really works and is practical (not like RDRAM and socket 423).