Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dcxman

Office XP Pro conflicts with my RealMagic Hollywood Plus...

Morning all.

I recently did a clean install of Win2K Pro. Prior to that I had WinME which for the most part ran quite well despite public opinion experiences. To say the least I had to load Win2K on for certain apps I needed that would only work with Win2K.

I did the service pack 3 with all the accompanying updates. It was completely bare and then I installed Office XP Pro and it launched without error.

I then loaded my drivers for my Hollywood. Then I load the Hollywood App (latest one). I launch it and it tells me that the device driver is in use.

Lucky I made an image of the system at bare before any other software installs. So I reimaged and did the Hollywood first. I launched it without error and was able to play my Matrix DVD.

I installed Office XP Pro and launched it without error. I then relaunched my Hollywood and got the error message again saying that the driver was in use.

Now get this, I then go to my device manager and try to uninstall my Hollywood driver. It crashes the system as soon as I hit the uninstall. I reboot and then just try to disable the driver. System crashes as soon as I hit the disable.

Can anyone tell me if they've encountered this problem and has a fix for it? I would really like to use my Office XP again with my Hollywood on one system but if I have to I will go back to using Office 2K instead.

Oh by the way I have tried using the older versions of app and driver for my Hollywood and I get the same result.

Thanks in advance either way as always.

Did you apply serivce pack 1 and 2 for office xp? I know the basic version of Office XP has more bugs than you can imagine and service packing it may help your problem.

Did the Office XP service packs originally with the first installs and then without. Same results.

Thanks for the response though.

So this only interferes with hardware DVD decoders? And disabling CTFMON.EXE (what exactly does this do btw? Something tells me it has nothing to do with Capture the Flag :P) fixes it?

I'm planning on buying a Hollywood Plus at some point and this information is handy to know.

You guys were right. Ending ctfmon.exe does fix the issue and allows me to run my RealMagic Player afterwards.

However I'm not going to uninstall the ctfmon.exe because I actually need it in order for my speech to text to work in Word XP.

This is a real drag...But it fixes the issue for now, though inconveniently.

I was wondering, will it work fine under WinXP Pro OS? I mean having Office XP and Realmagic running without having to kill ctfmon.exe?

Let me know if anyone's tried. If it does work I guess I'll reformat.

Thanks again guys