Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Draftsman

Outlook Express backing up quesiton....

Some time ago, I downloaded a utility that allowed me to back up some messages. I burned the files to CD then got my new computer....I didn't really HAVE to have those messages w/ my new computer so I just re-set up my email etc.

Now, I realize that I have some very important emails in the old files. The problem is, when I import all my old messages, it erases my current messages.

Is there any way I could have both my old and my current messages? Perhaps with Outlook upgrade?

ANY, and I mean ANY help is appriciated at this point frown

Thank you

What file format (extention) is the backup in? It's been a while since I've used OE, as I have personally switched to Outlook XP, but you should be able to use the 'Import...' command, depending on what file format you exported. Or, did you just copy the file from \%Username%\Application Data\Outlook Express\

Well, it's really a guy I work with that's having this problem.

I used that free program "Outlook Express Backup" or something like that...it was here that I was recommended to it.

It's important because there is some vital client info on his stored email stuff that could mean some deep crap for us, or him if he doesn't figure it out frown

I can ask him what the files are exactly if necessary

I personally am not familiar with that piece of software, perhaps someone else is. Whenever I backup/restore OE/Outlook, I just use the built-in export command. If you can find out the file extention, please post it... I bet something can be worked out.

This should work:

move all your new messages to a folder xyz, close OE and move the resulting xyz.dbx file somewhere

import all your old messages (assuming you have more of them than new ones, otherwise do it the other way around)

create a folder xyz in your OE inbox (in addition to your old messages)

close OER and overwrite the xyz.dbx file with the one you saved earlier.

There you are, all your new messages are in the xyz folder!

H

I think recommending different email clients at this point is a moot issue, the original poster just needs to get the data from a backup.

Well I understand that what I meant is that he should download poco mail and import the emails in and then forward them to himself to open in OE. Long way around but might work