Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hardwarecrazy

Kindly help me understand!

I am in the process of evaluating different Hosts for a charitable organization. I came across one Host whose specification says for Server Operating System: UNIX (NT Call). What is this NT Call on a UNIX machine?

Additionally it says that WebSite Management can be done through FrontPage - how is that possible on an UNIX box?

Kindly throw some light on these! Would be much obliged.

Thanks.

No offence, but wouldn't you be better asking the host?

If they can't explain what these things are, then they probably aren't the right host for you smile

No offence, but it would be better not to answer if you haven't one. Having said that, I have more confidence putting questions to this forum than to anybody else.

Firstly, Bursar has a point. Secondly, I believe that there were FPSE (FrontPage Server Extensions) that were released for *nix boxes a while ago, but I don't know if they have continued up to FPSE 2002 where the current ones are at. Also, I haven't heard of this "NT Call", so I don't know what it means.

A little harsh attack on Bursar there.

His idea is actually rather sound as it kills two birds with one stone:

1. This is not a very common "feature" not one I'm familiar with, so let them explain in their own words what exactly they mean.

2. The very best way of finding out if any host is worthy of your money is to find out what kind of support they offer.

If you fire off a pre-purchase question and they take a day or two to reply then be warned, their support probably runs on a similar time scale.

Oh and a word of warning on hosts, if they are offering "unlimited" anything, either storage space or monthly transfer then run, run away before you spend anything.

Unlimited does not mean anything - I'm yet to find a host that offers Unlimited and either delivers their promise or any kind of reliability.

I'm not attacking anyone. It just seemed logical to me that if a supplier is trying to sell you something that you don't understand, then you ask them to ask explain it.

If they can't explain it, then you don't really want to give them your money.

Asking questions of the support department before you buy anything is a good idea upto a point. Some compaines will rush round to get you anything you need, just so they get your business. Once they have your money, that's when you find out what they're really like.

Asking them if they can put you in touch with a couple of existing (preferably long term) customers would be a better bet. The other customers will be able to give you a much better insight to the ability (or otherwise) of the host to sort out problems.

Spiffy. I remember them being out for v98 and 2000, but didn't know if 2002 came out.

I'm not attacking anyone.

I don't think anybody said you were Bursar.

Read replies fully before replying, just scanning them and mistakes with wording can be made smile

Bursar, if my reply was pointed, my apologises. That was not my intent.

I am now clear on what I need to do - it is clear from the replies that 1. "NT Call" is not a standard terminology.

2. FP has extensions for UNIX.

3. I am shocked to hear from Bladerunner to keep away from those who offer "unlimited" deals. I was in fact going in that direction and thanks for stopping me going that way! I would appreciate hearing from you why you said what you said.

4. I will take Bursar's advise and clarify on that "NT call" stuff.

Thanks all of you for your valuable time.