Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
htsource

Reset all files permission to Windows default, possible?

When I installed XP Pro on my laptop, I made some security changes to Administrator profile so only the Administrator can touch C:\Doucments and Settings\Administrator. Not even the Administrators group can access the files inside. I have some financial documents in that profile and I want them to be secure as much as possible.

However, there are some side effects to this. If I login as Administrator and files get changed. All files that got modified/created by Administrator will be unlocked by Administrator only. If I login as another user and try to access files in C:\Program Files, it gives me permission denied.

Is there any way to reset all file permissions to its default?

Your help is much appreciated,

Simon

this is one way

in explorer...

tools/folder options/view

turn off simple file sharing

that will let u set things the way u want them

I remember seeing a command line to reset all permissions. I'll find it later and post it.

Try this:

The problem is with using Windows Explorer to modify security settings globally on a partition, directories, and files. This is in fact a less than optimum method of applying security settings. A more appropriate method is to execute the following command line from the root of the partition:

(Note: If you are not at the root of the partition in question you must set your default there: CD /D drive_name: )

Now the command line:

CACLS * /e /t /c /g Administrators:F System:F

(Note: If you see the message, ''Unable to perform a security operation on an object which has no associated security,'' you are executing this from a FAT partition. You must set the default to an NTFS partition.)

This command will edit (/e) the ACLs, rather than replace them, and recursively apply them (/t) to subdirectories. CACLS will continue (/c) even when it hits an open file. Any number of ACCOUNT:PERM parameters may follow the grant (/g) switch. There is additional flexibility built into the CACLS command-its only limitation is the dearth of selections for PERM (permission levels) values.