RegEdit and EnablePlainTextPassword

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Awaxx

Awaxx

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 December 1999 - 05:54 PM

When I was under Win98, I was using shared folder. Those folder were on Unix computer and shared with SMB. Win98 is crypting pwd so I had to add a DWORD in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP named EnablePlainTextPassword with 1 as data to uncrypt them before sending them.
BUT in Win2k HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP doesn't exist anymore and I still can't connect.
Have anyone a solution ?

#2 ByronT

ByronT

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 December 1999 - 12:50 AM

I seem to recall that there was a huge MS debate about the PlainTextPassword reg key. And I also seem to recall that MS allowed it in RC1 but killed it in RC2.

I think that the reason was that the security of Win2K was overly compromised and having that reg key actually caused some serious bugs. MS said to pooey with it and killed it in RC2.

At least, I think that's the way it went down. I could be wrong...

------------------
J. Byron Todd
Computer Consultant
byron@toddcomp.com
Todd Computer Solutions

#3 noman

noman

stranger

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 1999 - 12:56 AM

It's in a different place in W2K. It's under LANMANWORKSTATION I think. I don't remember the exact branch but just search for that and enter a DWORD Value EnablePlainTextPassword = 1.

#4 noman

noman

stranger

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 1999 - 01:05 AM

Update. It's LANMANWORKSTATION --> Parameters. Enter the DWORD there.

#5 SHS

SHS

veteran

• Moderators
  • 1245 posts

Posted 21 December 1999 - 01:26 AM

Try here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SeCEdit\Reg Values\MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/LanmanWorkstation/Parameters/EnablePlainTextPassword

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters

why do want mess with the setting anyway ?.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq