Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Awaxx

RegEdit and EnablePlainTextPassword

When I was under Win98, I was using shared folder. Those folder were on Unix computer and shared with SMB. Win98 is crypting pwd so I had to add a DWORD in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP named EnablePlainTextPassword with 1 as data to uncrypt them before sending them.

BUT in Win2k HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP doesn't exist anymore and I still can't connect.

Have anyone a solution ?

I seem to recall that there was a huge MS debate about the PlainTextPassword reg key. And I also seem to recall that MS allowed it in RC1 but killed it in RC2.

I think that the reason was that the security of Win2K was overly compromised and having that reg key actually caused some serious bugs. MS said to pooey with it and killed it in RC2.

At least, I think that's the way it went down. I could be wrong...

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

It's in a different place in W2K. It's under LANMANWORKSTATION I think. I don't remember the exact branch but just search for that and enter a DWORD Value EnablePlainTextPassword = 1.

Try here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SeCEdit\Reg Values\MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/LanmanWorkstation/Parameters/EnablePlainTextPassword

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters

why do want mess with the setting anyway ?.