Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tom-boy

Recommendable system maintenance/repair utilities?

Recently, I was hit by Bugbear and it did some havoc on my PC (Win2kPro). It could have been a double-virus, actually, since Bugbear is not supposed to do such damage as it did. Anyway, I got it off, but ever since there has been an array of new problems. Games crash, which they never did before; sometimes it takes up to 10 minutes before everything is set go at the desktop; my F-Secure reports malfunctions; drivers bust etc. The Windows repair helped some, as did defragmenation and uninstalling/reinstalling some apps, I cleaned the reg with RegCleaner from the virus leftovers and dead stuff but still there are issues to be dealt with.

So, I installed and tried the Norton Utilities 2001 and that seemed to solve quite a few probs, except the slow start-up and F-Secure prob, but aside form those, I'm pretty happy with the tool. The question is, is there some other utility- possibly free, or better- than Norton to help you if need it? Norton didn't perform quite as well as I had hoped, but for now, it's good enough, but still- are there alternatives for it?