Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Budious

Need help with IIS 5.0 bandwidth throttling.

Using a copy of Windows 2000 Server w/ SP3 integrated install. I have only the Common Files, FTP Server and Internet Services Snap-In installed in Internet Information Services in Windows Component Add/Remove. I have one ftp server setup and created and functioning well. My cable modem connection is 128kbps (16KB/s) upload so I was wanting to limit this to (12KB/s) not to hog all the bandwidth to the other computers on the router are free to do other things. I have checked the enable bandwidth throttling option however the server continues to use max bandwidth, I have attempted to restart the service and even rebooted but still seems to use max upload. I've tried google and ms.com but this topic seems to be poorly documented or Im just not looking in right place. Are additional components needed for bandwidth throttle to function correctly?

Quote:
Using a copy of Windows 2000 Server w/ SP3 integrated install. I have only the Common Files, FTP Server and Internet Services Snap-In installed in Internet Information Services in Windows Component Add/Remove. I have one ftp server setup and created and functioning well. My cable modem connection is 128kbps (16KB/s) upload so I was wanting to limit this to (12KB/s) not to hog all the bandwidth to the other computers on the router are free to do other things. I have checked the enable bandwidth throttling option however the server continues to use max bandwidth, I have attempted to restart the service and even rebooted but still seems to use max upload. I've tried google and ms.com but this topic seems to be poorly documented or Im just not looking in right place. Are additional components needed for bandwidth throttle to function correctly?

well if you are using the ftp to have peeps dl from you then you should set the trottle to 16k or less cause they are dowloading from you so u are uploading if you set the trottle to 128k which is more than your upload cap then obviously it will exceed max bandwith of your network before the trottle.

Budious, I think your problem would best be solved by using QoS, Quality of Service. Check on the MS site for information on how to implement it.

Quality of Service wants me to set up a domain and from what I read this only effects the network traffic and not the internet traffic, all the pc's have 10mb nics or 802.11b wireless so plenty of network bandwidth. My upload cap is 16KB so I want to limit to 12KB for a max speed I or others can access my files remotely from work or school. However I have tried setting it to around 12KB/s (96kbps) but the ftp continues to upload at full speed. Simply Im asking is there any simple way to limit the upload speed to internet on IIS ftp site.

First, QoS relies on QoS-aware applications and hardware to monitor network traffic (and yes, if Internet traffic hits any machine on your network then it is "network traffic" as well) and allows you to assign priority levels to the traffic being monitored. The idea would be to assign a higher level of importance to something like, an ERP or DB-driven client/server app and a low importance to something like RealPlayer.

Now, as for assigning the bandwidth caps, I have only seen the setting for the WWW portion of IIS, and frankly I haven't seen it ever work. Then again, I have only fiddled with it twice since I have no need to use it.

Ok, well thanx for the replies, perhaps I will switch to Serv-U or some other ftp service with speed restriction options.