Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

Upgrading Compaq Presaro 5630

This really isn't a 2k question, it seemed like the place to put it.

I'm going to work on this 5630 and the Compaq, now HP site isn't much help since they would rather sell a new box than upgrade a old one.

What I want to do is wipe the drive and UN-Compaq the box as much as possible! I want to get rid of the splash screen for starters. In other words I want to turn it into a real computer (well, at least as much as possible if you get my drift)!

It is a Wintel chipset board, but I have no idea what the bios is other than their lame excuse for a bios that has probably been modified from what it was orginally.

I used Copernic Pro to serach for Compaq forums but only find the HP site which isn't any help.

Anyone with experiance with the Presaro 5600 series?

Try Sisoft Sandra, I have a 5006h Presario and couldnt find anything either. Sisoft will tell you exactly what you have and also give you maximum processor speeds your motherboard can handle and give you tips for tweaking and upgrading. Its an awsome program. The basic version gives you plenty of info. I have the professional version which only adds a few options. Give it a try.

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/sandra

thing is compaq often has custom made mobo's from intel and such, there fore the only bios updates you can get are from compaq.

When i first got my vaio (sony) luckily they used an asus board, once i flashed the bios, i had all the options back, where as sony had a special one in where u could not change anythign!.

u may be stuck with that mobo - is it possible to maybe buy a new mobo?

To me, the case and MB on these pre made boxes are married together; "to death do us part"! Since they are propriatary boards (the AGP slot is between the 2 PCI slots!) your stuck with their design.

All I wanted to do in upgrade the OS and hardware other than the MB, case and PS.