Photo

Best 3rd party back up software for a small buisness ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Guvernment

Mr.Guvernment

veteran

• Validating
  • 1441 posts
  • LocationCosta Rica

Posted 08 October 2002 - 08:54 AM

Hey all

Backing things up has become something i will begin doing here @ our work.

I tried the windows back up system, but, it just don't run or work.. and i would like something a little more "powerful"

Was curious what suggstions you may have, something for a small sized buisness, that can back up maybe, 3 or 4 -= possibly 6 computers a day automatically to a main server or even backup, then automatically burn the information to a medium...?

#2 LordCrew

LordCrew

stranger

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 02:15 PM

My favorite backup program is Veritas "Backup Exec", check if it fits your needs and budget.

#3 clutch

clutch

Carpal Tunnel

• Moderators
  • 3859 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 11:07 PM

I've used Arcserve/BrightStor, Veritas Backup Exec, and the little guy NTBACKUP (the one that comes with NT/2K/XP). Veritas is awesome when it comes to overall network backup, and I like using NTBACKUP for Exchange server backups. I hate BrightStor, but it's currently what I have at my main job. frown It doesn't seem to like Terminal Services very well, and remote management through consoles installed on admin workstations is sketchy at best.

#4 DosFreak

DosFreak

Carpal Tunnel

• Moderators
  • 3885 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 08:27 AM

You can't go wrong with Veritas (the NTBackup is actually a stripped down Backup Exec). Go with Backup Exec.

#5 Mr.Guvernment

Mr.Guvernment

veteran

• Validating
  • 1441 posts
  • LocationCosta Rica

Posted 12 October 2002 - 11:28 AM

Quote:
You can't go wrong with Veritas (the NTBackup is actually a stripped down Backup Exec). Go with Backup Exec.

i tried the built in backup in Xp, got it set up to run at a certain time everyday, and back the files up to a network drive (which is always availible)

but it doesn't do anything... nadda.. no back up.

i even set it to a time, sat there when it was supposed to run, and it didn't do anything........? was i missing something..

i will check out veritas.

#6 clutch

clutch

Carpal Tunnel

• Moderators
  • 3859 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 06:24 PM

Did you check the log? Do you have the proper logon credentials?

#7 Mr.Guvernment

Mr.Guvernment

veteran

• Validating
  • 1441 posts
  • LocationCosta Rica

Posted 13 October 2002 - 02:13 AM

logs nope, and yes, i am the admin, only account on the computer

shall check out the logs... wherever they are? laugh

#8 clutch

clutch

Carpal Tunnel

• Moderators
  • 3859 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 04:43 AM

No, not your credentials, but that of the backup you are configuring. It has to run under a set of credentials as well. I would suggest reading over the help file to get up to speed on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq