Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ali

Why so many XP Home users have problems running Warcraft3

I work in a computer shop and recently i have been getting too man ycomplains about WC3 not running properly. It happens on different computers and different video cards. ;(

the solution is to run the program in "Compatibility mode" with Win 2000.

is this a common problem with the original CD of the game? (i had a hacked one and it worked on anything!!!!! no problems exept the installation part!!!) ;(

Hmm, as far as I know the "Windows 2000" compatibility layer just passes the OS ver to the application as Windows 2000. That's it.

War 3 runs fine on my Windows XP.....

the problem is it shows the intro movies and then just exits the program (like it crashes and windows terminates the task) it won't show any 3D and hardware generated scenes, not even the main menu.

if you run it in compatibility mode then it runs with no problems.

I know this is a very old topic but I have the same problem like Ali had. However, my problem is that im not excatly a computer expert so I dont know where to set the Compatibility mode. Please help me!

Straight from the mouth of Microsoft:

To set up compatibility mode (if it is not installed):

To run the Program Compatibility Wizard

1. Start the Program Compatibility Wizard. (Click Start, click Help and Support, click Fixing a problem, click Application and software problems, under Fix a problem click Getting older programs to run on Windows XP, and then click the Program Compatibility Wizard link in the instructions.)

2. Follow the instructions in the wizard.

Or manually

As an alternative to running the Program Compatibility Wizard, you can set the compatibility properties for a program manually.

To set the compatibility properties for a program manually

• Right-click the program icon on your desktop or the shortcut on the Start menu for the program you want to run, and then click Properties.

• Click the Compatibility tab, and change the compatibility settings for your program.

It really depends on the application. Some require 95/98; others W2K. Then, you have to experiment with memory settings.