Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Preacher

System Shock 2 won´t run, even with "-lgntforce"

Just wanted to play this classic again but noticed it won´t even start. Installed perfectly by running Setup with the added "-lgntforce" parameter. Applying the patch was successful, too. But as soon as I try to run the game, even by using this "-lgntforce" parameter it just returns to the desktop. Any clues?

I´m using Win2k SP3. For hardware used, look at my sig.

Classic indeed.

Shouldn't need the -LGNTFORCE for the game to run, just to install.

Have you tried running it through QFixApp in Win98 layer?

I have the same problem. I bought System Shock 2 recently only to be dismayed that I couldn't play it. I was able to use lgntforce to install but when I go to play the game all I get is some hd activity and an hourglass cursor. Then it goes back to the normal cursor and nothing happens. How do you use QFixApp in Windows 2000?

Specs:

AthlonXP 2000+

512ram

geforce3 (original) 30.82 drivers

windows 2000 SP3

Soundblaster Live!

Thanks!

Tried with Application Compatibility Toolkit. Didn´t work. Perhaps a Win2k SP3 specific problem; will check with Win2k SP2 asap. In the meantime, could one of you please check with WinXP / XP SP1?

I have also tried it on a friends computer with WindowsXP SP1 and it works fine if you use the compatibility mode. (Windows 98, Turn of Visual Themes).

Try getting a no cd-crack and install the game with a full install, also do not patch the game or patch it and get the no-cd crack for that patch.

Quote:
could one of you please check with WinXP / XP SP1?
I played it on a friends XP Home Edition laptop. This was before SP1 though.

Perhaps maybe its a CD-ROM drive-protection issue? Do you have an alternate drive to try with?

Wait a minute... I'm not sure, but I think it might've been SS2 that had an issue with either not wanting to run from the autoplay popup or from a desktop shortcut in either 2000 or XP. That might've been another game though.

I'd try both methods.

You need to get a no cd crack for it to run. I tried this back on win2k SP1 or 2 and it worked fine.

You need to look at the compatibility settings in XP and then see if you can't use those in win2k and tell me what the settings are smile.

I tried installing sytem shock 2 yesterday and was able to install it using compatibility 98 mode. However, when i tried to run it..i would get a severe kernal 32 error. I can't remember the exact message now.