Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

The Official UT 2003 thread

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

Hey all!

Well it is out! after all this waiting for UT 2003 to arrive, it has come, 3 cd's in size (3rd cd is a bonus) as well has latest drivers for ATI and NIVIDIA on the 3rd CD as well a "special" direct X 8.1 update.

So, who has played it?

First off, love the NVIDIA advertising in the start up! Wonder how much that cost em!..lol

Well, got it installed, and began to play - 1 problem, it was so "round" and "big" as in guns and stuff i thought i was almost playing Quake, as well the speed of the game play, so i hated it off the bat.

I then messed around with the "game speed" put it up aropund 135% - now that was more like UT!.

the character selection is great - and i love how when u play single player u save your stats, a swell u pick players to be on your team that have diff. skills, which is nice.

The weapons? WTF!! did they do with the sniper riffle and the rocket launcher? The launcher you can only hold 3 grenades now instead of 5 frown and the sniper, or supposed to be sniper gun is an elctric bolt and it is VERY difficult to control , as well head shots are even harder now it seems as well. So my 2 fav weapons are the Flak canon canon balls (alternate fire) and of course still the rocket launcher)

Haven't played any live multiplayer yet, but working on it, you will need a VERY good comp to run a server off your computer with 10 or more players.

First i put it in on my work comp - p3 933 / 512pc133 / tnt2 32mb card - runs good on 800 x 600 with 16bit, and MAX player i can do is about 10, 8 comfortably, then it start to lag with any more, also out door maps lag pretty bad.

@ home on my Vaio - p4 1.8 / ti4600 ultra 128 / 512pc133 - runs GREAT!!! jack ALL the details up and no lag - smooth game.

I noticed here on my work comp, even though i had installed newer det driver (as UT told me mine were out of date during install) there are a few graphics glitches in the game where the screen goes all black, or a certain color when you walk through certain door ways, or look certains ways - this has only happened to me on 2 maps, but does not happen on my 4600 ultra, so must just be a new option my tnt2 don't got on it.

Anyways, all in all, takes a bit of getting used to, i wish they had of stayed away from the"Quake" feel of the game, as i don't like quake at all. But i would say get it if your a UT fan, although a friend here said he will stick to UT last one as opposed to this one.

So, any other thougts, comments?

I was never a huge fan of UT, as it wasn't as smooth as Q3 was. However I like this one a lot more (even more than Q3). It runs quite well on both of my systems at home, and runs well in either WinXP Pro or Linux so I'm happy.

Well i was a big fan of the original UT and at first i didnt like 2003 at all. My brother went and got the full version though so ive been playing with that, and the full version is alot better than the demo but i still prefer the original frown

I think they should have kept Assault, left Domination like it was and just not used Bombing Run at all laugh

It does have some pretty awesome graphics, especially on the map CTF-Magma, thats very impressive smile

I agree on the weapons, i miss the grenades that the RL fired, now you cant fire any frown and i would have prefered if the sniper rifle stayed as a normal gun instead of some fancy lightning gun. If they wanted a trail on it they could have just put a trail on the bullets, like a semi-transparent wake.

Anyway in my opinion smile It is good, but just not as good as the first 1 smile

M4Carbine: I agree with you on the whole weapons thing, my fav weapon in UT was the flak cannon, in UT2003 the changed the secondary fire for it, so now the distance for the projectile is now shortened, or at least it seems. The lightning guns is kinda gay, but pretty cool, i would have also opted for a sniper rifle. and i hate the rocket launcher now, seems like it takes a bit longer to lock on to targets with it. Other than that i think its a great game.

Yup Eddie frown The flak cannon has changed frown The secondary fire doesnt fire anywhere near as far, and the primary shoots in a much tighter area. Suppose they just wanted to make it less powerful.

I used to love the minigun as well, with its slow but accurate primary, or the fast but in-accurate secondary. Shame they had to change it frown

And the enforcer and dual enforcer, the list goes on.... laugh

I'm not as much of a fan of the Quake series and like Unreal better--it's just more fun to me. I've played the UT03 demo, and while I think the first one is better, the bombing run is pretty dang sweet. My b-day's coming up in exactly a month, so it's on the list. If I don't get it then, there's always Christmas.:D

I used to love the original Unreal Tournament and would play online and with bots for hours on end, I even spent a ton of time downloading maps from the web. However, I grew tired of it after awhile and started playing Quake 3. I love Quake 3 its smooth, has great weapon balance, and in my opinion requires more skill than UT. UT's weapon balance is terrible, Flak cannon, rocket launchers, and miniguns pretty much rule, everything else is weak.

Now UT2003 is out, I played the demo and it didn't really grab me, it was fun for a bit, but the graphics are good, but the gameplay feels awkward and the weapons are somewhat unbalanced, I think I get this feeling because UT has alternate fire and Quake does not. In any case I will be giving UT 2003 a pass.

to me Quake 3 game play is WAY!!! too slowwwwwwwwww especially compared to UT the orginal.

i played ut for years and a few month back decided to give quake a go, i almost fell as sleep the game speed was so different.

but to each their own.

the graphics are deum sweet on many maps, and i am still trying to get the whole bombing run idea, like passing it, i think that will be a GREAT!!! live team player game, as u can do so much and it relies highly on team work to really do well.

As for downloading maps, i was the same with UT - had like 2g's of maps, but then it just got boring, i hope the selection of maps is good for ut2003.

I like the old rough feel of the original UT - seem less like a "cartoon" as i saw Quake. i like rigide, not rounded.

I also assume someone will likely make some mods which will bring back the old weapons, this would be nice to see.

Only game im waiting for is Freelancer smile

Has HL2 even been announced yet?

M4: Looks good... I'll have to check that out when a demo is released.

Immortal: About Doom 3, yeah, I am prepared to wait, from the screenshots, it looks as though it will be worth the wait! I've been playing the Doom and Quake series since the first of each came out, so waiting is nothing new.

Mr.Guvernment: If Quake 3 is too slow for your liking, I'd really like for you to take a look at CPMA (Promode). It's a modification for Quake 3 that allows for fast weapon switching, ability to change direction while in midair (like QuakeWorld) and many other improvements and bugfixes over regular Quake 3. I can provide a link, if you're interested to some Promode game demos, they're unbelievable. This mod breathed new life back into Quake 3.

pmistry: I agree with your opinions on Quake 3 and UT/UT2k3. I actually downloaded and installed the demo for UT2k3, and IMO, is requires less 'skill' than Quake 3. In Q3, aim is of the upmost importantance, whereas in UT2k3, it seems as though the weapons were designed to be 'accurate enough' where aim is less, if at all, important. The general weapons seemed to be what I would consider 'spamming' weapons, not skill-based weapons.

Sorry for the long rant, but hey, I did give UT2k3 an honest shot... I just think it fell short.

Quote:
M4: Looks good... I'll have to check that out

Mr.Guvernment: If Quake 3 is too slow for your liking, I'd really like for you to take a look at CPMA (Promode). It's a modification for Quake 3 that allows for fast weapon switching, ability to change direction while in midair (like QuakeWorld) and many other improvements and bugfixes over regular Quake 3. I can provide a link, if you're interested to some Promode game demos, they're unbelievable. This mod breathed new life back into Quake 3.

pmistry: I agree with your opinions on Quake 3 and UT/UT2k3. I actually downloaded and installed the demo for UT2k3, and IMO, is requires less 'skill' than Quake 3. In Q3, aim is of the upmost importantance, whereas in UT2k3, it seems as though the weapons were designed to be 'accurate enough' where aim is less, if at all, important. The general weapons seemed to be what I would consider 'spamming' weapons, not skill-based weapons.

Sorry for the long rant, but hey, I did give UT2k3 an honest shot... I just think it fell short.

I will have to check that out, or just wait for a new quake to come out smile Because Quake 3 seem slower, i found it far easier to kill.

As for the aim in UT2oo3, by defualt in single player "auto aim" is turned on. may want to aht turned off. and i have noticed that weapons are LESS accurate now in ut2003, and have a smaller spread on them. The sniper gun (eletric thing) u often need to take multple shots and it is hard to tell if it hits. even with the flak canon @ close range you don't often get a direct kill. sometimes takes 2 shots, unlike the original ut.

Another thing i have noticed lately in ut2003 - is the ATI - even on God like, if you play capture the flag, or bombing run, you can run right around, or beside an enemy and they won't shot @ you, cause they only seem to care about the player with the "bomb" of the flag. - i think this is something they may need to address in an update.

Yeah ive noticed that with the bots as well, if you take em on head on, they will shoot at you. But if you just attack em from behind while they are running they dont seem to care, so you can just kill em easily ;(

Mr.Guvernment, the address for Promode is http://www.promode.org Also, off of that page is a link to Challenge-TV where there is a large database of game demos. I feel certain that if you watched a few demos, you'll realize that Quake 3 can be fast... Vanilla Q3 was 'noobed' up though. Coming from a former QuakeWorld player, Promode is the best I've seen...

Also, if you want good AI, there's a bot you can add to Quake 3 called Lakerbot that's quite realistic... Tracking based on sounds made by you, weapon selection based on what it estimates your health/armor to be, etc. I think it's still in a beta version, but it's still quite good, nonetheless.

just to say that i really like ut2003 online --its still intense and in your face.

They balanced the weapons.

I will say that i don't like the sniper weapon --even after they straightened out the light beam. I suppose it is a beam to balance the weapon out more. Instead of a brief muzzle flash, everyone gets a good long chance to see where you are. I think its the sound of the old snipe rifle i miss more though. It was very satisfying when you got a head shot smile

Assault was the best part of UT2003 single player. So i'm not quite sure why they would scratch it.

Assault required great team cooperation online --which is almost always non existant (unless there are clan wars about). So maybe they just decided that simple was best.

And finally, ya, it does play like a suped up version of Q3. But i like Q3 :))