Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DragonSoull

Replacing Boot floppy's

My floppy drive just brock down so i decided to replace my last floppy's once and for all (kind of :D)

they here a win95 boot disc with cd-rom support and 2 Partition Magic boot disk's is there any way i can burn then in a bootable cd?

by the way is there any free program that does the same as partition magic?

Ranish Partition Manager is similar to PartitionMagic, but nowhere as good or easy to use, in my opinion. Yeah it should be fairly easy to put all your dos utils on a boot cd, except that disk2 of partitionmagic actually writes to the floppy, so you'll need to set up a ramdrive and extract the PM program files to the ramdrive, otherwise you'll get an error. I've sucessfully done this about a year ago, so it is doable.

My plan to get rid of floppies? Tear out the floppy in your case. Buy a USB floppy drive. Verify that mobo bios can boot from USB. Your saved!

i believe you have to burn the image of the floppy to the cd. never tried but i'm sure it would work. floppies blow anyway, if i had a nickel for every floppy disk that has been corrupted i'd be a rich man....well, a man with a big bag of nickels anyway.

Use WinImage to make an .img of your floppy. You can then tweak the image, such as change it to 2.88 and put more stuff in it. Then use Nero to burn a bootable CD, selecting the .img for the boot image.

If you want to put stuff on the rest of the CD, make sure you load CD drivers in your floppy boot image.

If you really want something cool, put this JO.SYS in the root of the img to give you a "press spacebar to boot from cd" menu.

Quote:
Then use Nero to burn a bootable CD, selecting the .img for the boot image.

What about the other advanced settings? Eg. no of loaded sectors, floppy/hd/no emulation.

Quote:
If you want to put stuff on the rest of the CD, make sure you load CD drivers in your floppy boot image.

Supposing the "stuff" is Win98 SE installation files, and CD drivers are loaded(assume for me, they're drives E and F), what should I put in autoexec.bat so that the prompt changes from A: to E: or F: without my input, depending on which CDROM/RW drive I put my bootable disc into? Obviously, there must be some sort of detection code...Thanks smile

The way that I've gotten around the drive letter problem, is by forcing a letter with mscdex. I'm sure that there are probably some freeware utils out there that will detect the drive letter, and map it to a variable, but I find it easier to just specify a drive letter. I usually use X, Y, or Z... but whatever would work.

Quote:
The way that I've gotten around the drive letter problem, is by forcing a letter with mscdex.

Exactly what I did too.
I found the image I made a while back. It's here.

When making a bootable cd, use 2.88 emulation with this image, b/c that is the type of floppy it is. With a normal floppy you use 1.44 emulation. Leave sectors to 1.