Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Strippe

Comanche, MotoGP, OpenGL32.dll voodoo3 installprobs

Hi all,

i´m using win2k sp2 and amigamerlin 2.5 correct installation.

i got a voodoo3 3000 and my prob is since months, that in few games like comanche, motogp, ballerburg (dont know the english titel) i get nasty textures - in ballerburg there are NO textures. just grey and white. motogp has some textures, but nothing, that look "normal" - just few colors. comanche has less textures, or no water.

i tryed to install a newer opengl32.dll while installing the driver - copying the newer dll into the systemdirectory. but after a reboot, thers only the newer glide and the old opengl from mickysoft frown

i searched about many forums, tryed few tricks, but it just worked fine for once! after a reinstall i had the same probs.......

i tryed the good old win98se - there where no probs, but i prefere for working win2k!

do you have any ideas?

my hardware:

a7v133 with newest 4in1

athlon-c 1000mhz

512sdram 133

soundblaster live

3com nic

highpoint raid1

voodoo3 3000 non-oc newest bios

thx-a-lot

strippe

Get a geforce, since newer games don't support 3dfx products and nvidia won't do anything about it. frown Yeah I think it sucks too.

Dump the Voodoo3. ASAP. Go with ATI Radeon 8500 or higher or Nvidia GeForce 4... I can personally recommend the G4 4600 from MSI... nice card and excellent software support. Highly overclockable too.

People need to realize... 3DFX IS OUT OF BUSINESS AND GAMES WILL NOT WORK WITH THEIR CARDS ANYMORE! Get a new card man!

--Alexander

laugh never nvidia again!

comanche 4 rocks on a voodoo3 but theres just this damnd small prob on win2k. go get happy with your eye-burning geforce *tztztztz* i need some tips how to get this opengl32.dll installed ;(

I too was a 3dfx purist/Nvidia hater. I went with Nvidia because I really had no choice... and ATI hacked me off with their card specifications and sly marketing.

Some things to remember about the Voodoo cards:

1. There was NEVER, even when they were in business, a full Opengl32 ICD for 3DFX cards. It never worked and never will. The closest you can come to it is use WickedGL or find a miniGL for the particular game you're using... but in the end, any games that require full OpenGL support will never, ever work on your card.

2. 3DFX Is out of business and the people who were still developing for these cards are finally letting go. They have been for some time.

3. Get a new card. If you're an Nvidia hater, go with ATI... but if you're a gamer and you expect to play new games, you will not... I repeat... NOT get them to work on your Voodoo3.

I have two Voodoo3's in my spare parts collection now. I was in the same boat as you, and I gave up. You just have to let go, man. This is the computing world - it's a racket and it always will be.

--Alexander

Sorry Strippe we can't help you. Not many of us use voodoo's nowdays. I still have a diamond monster voodoo1, and I even played QIII Arena on win2k and XP's, but the menu was crappy. Maybe there will be some new drivers that'll help you. Wicked GL may help you (I think it's not for free). Although I'm not sure that moto gp and commanche run on openGL so even if you do manage to install opengl32 it won't help. SOrry frown

Yeah that's what I meant to say earlier. 3DFX's cards refuse to use opengl32.dll, so even if you get it installed it won't work I believe 3DFX's OpenGL was 3dfxogl32.dll or something like that... since they just didn't use the full OpenGL32 ICD...

--Alexander

thx folks,

but i didnt want to start a flame here... i had some troubles with my first card, a viper330 and it punished me...

than i got the v3 and tuned it with a 1000mhz c-athlon for having 3 years full of fun with every game! today im mostly playing tactical ops and unrealtournament (2003 works too :P)

but such nice one like aquanox or bf1942 cant run on a v3 frown

so there must be a upgrade...

if there would just be the probs with c4 and motogp, i would reanimate my win98se partition wink theres no probelm with comanche4 - so flame on about the fucking gl-support, its a question of software :x

thx for helping

I'm not trying to flame, it's just that you're really hurting yourself by staying with the Voodoo3. You'll see what I mean when you move on. When you play V3-era games on a different card, you'll see why 3DFX failed. They made poor business decisions with their chipsets (32 bit color and a full OpenGL ICD makes a difference!) and paid the ultimate price.

But you're robbing yourself of an excellent experience by staying on that V3... glad to see you're moving on smile

--Alexander