Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Immortal

Pentium 4's over 3ghz

Have a read of this:

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/articles/headlines/Hardware/1852/

Now tell me, since this was in august. Would mobo makers have changed their designs by now?

Its becuase I am looking to build myself a system, and i want a futureproof (Hyperthreading support and 3ghz+), USB 2, AGP 8X mobo with DDR-RAM.

I dont mind the chipset being VIA or SiS, but i just want it to be damned futureproof.

With PCs, no matter how hard you try, "future proof" is impossible.

If I were even remotely interested in the P4 I wouldn't touch DDR with a 10 foot barge pole. With the P4, RDRAM == teh win.

yes but how about hte power regulator needed for p4's over 3Ghz? They need 70 watts, instead of the normal 60watts.

Yes, maybe not u, but us cost concious peeps do care. Its just i want an all in one goood mobo!

Wait till later this month and get the 845PE boards.

THey have all of what you need.

Asus features them on thier home page.

They're

cheap too, and use DDR

According to that link it doesnt have AGP 8x, and thats one of the core things i want. i dont know why intel, who have made the AGP 3.0 spec, wont put it onto their chipsets.

If I were you I would wait till the chip is actually out, and then you can make a decision and know that it will all work, and have the features you want.

Looks like im gonna have to finally get rid of the TH7-II if i want Hyperthreading frown as i doubt they will enable it for an 850 based board, if thats even possible smile

I think that the recent intel chipsets can be upgraded to hyperthread support with a simple BIOS update.

Yes but i didnt see any mention of the 850, only the 850E, the 1 with official 133mhz support.

Its a new enough chipset aint it? or is it the mobo manufacturers that put that voltage thingy on?

I doubt the extra power (connection?) will be present until the new chips are officially released, buy again, that's strictly opinion.