Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tomay

Does frequent ram replacing damage the ram (or the slot)

;( Yes it's a b..ch! I have a 128 Mb dimm cas2 ram I use in many different macines, so I'm inserting it in many different motherboards and taking it out. But yesterday as I wanted to boot one of my old macines I herard that beeeep beeeep that none of use likes smile. BTW this ram worked in this macine before. I cleaned the ram contacts with alcohol, and dusted off the slot, but again beeeep beeeep... frown so i tried some other boards, but it only worked on an Intel se440bx-2, but not in all slots. There is no visible damage on the ram and other ram works without problems. Something else I noticed, if force the ram while inserted to one side a little it works again but if I release it the computer hangs.

Could it be that frequent ram inserting damages the ram? Anyone had similar problems. Is there a way to test what is wrong (beside the ram tester). Please help.

memory itself is fairly bulletproof, but there is always a chance it will get sparked

might also be the mobo. every time u stick the ram it u bend the mobo a little.

mobos are vulnerable to static and bending.

You can also get a nice charge by not unplugging the computer when you change ram or other devices. I Was swapping a NIC one time and forgot to unplug, the darn machine came on and started loading Windows with the NIC still hanging half way out!!! The NIC died from the spark.

HAHA......sorry. ;(

That's one hell of a case of "Wake on LAN"!!!! 8)