Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
uboofer

Unreal Tournament 2003

;( Beware of the new game UT 2003.

I just purchased the game this afternoon and when I opened it up I was quite suprised. First of all after paying the rather big price for it, I found out they did not even include a jewel case for the 3 CDs. Then after opening it I decided to install it. One of the first things it asks for is the CD key. In the same box that you enter the CD key it says to look at the jewel case for it. What jewel case? I just got 3 paper CD sleeves.

I then went to Planetunreal for assistance. It said:

"The CD-Key you are asked for when installing the game is available on the back cover of the manual you received in your game box, in the white portion on the lower part of the cover. It is four sets of five alphanumeric characters. When entering it, you may enter the letters in lower or uppercase, but be sure to include the hyphens between each set of five characters."

OK. I looked at the manual and I could not find a CD key anywhere. So I read on and it then says:

"If you do not have a CD-Key on the back of your manual, we will be happy to exchange your manual for one that does. The entire manual needs to be sent back to us for replacement; we regret that we cannot accept faxed or scanned copies. Please contact Consumer Services at the phone number at the top of this document, select Unreal Tournament 2003 from the menu, and follow the appropriate prompts to be put in contact with a member of our support team who can issue you an RMA number with which to exchange your manual."

What kind of product are they selling? What iritates me is that they cannot even provide a $2 jewel case for their CDs and then they want you to send in the complete manual to get a CD key that they should have provided. All at your cost. I dont know how long it would take to get a replacement manual and CD key because I returned it for a new one but I would think that it could take several weeks. I think that it stupid to have to deal with a company with bad tech support and quality control like this.

;(

Bummer. I did think it was odd that the game stated that the serial number was on the jewel case when the game didn't come with one. It does run really well though, and I am hoping that they release Linux executables for it soon since the demo ran so well on my Linux box.

I have not tried to install it yet but it seems like the Linux binary is on CD3....

/Toby

Quote:
I have not tried to install it yet but it seems like the Linux binary is on CD3....

/Toby

Duh. Dude, you rock! I am giving it a shot right now! Thanks.

Hmmm... That's weird man... I just bought my game last week (arrived today)... It came in one of those big plastic cases (like DVD's), don't know the exact name of it. And my Cd Key was on the back of the manual, like they said.

Well, I hope that your views on the makers won't influence your views on the game, because it really is a good game laugh

Yeah I don't think he really cares about the problem anymore...but this situation was similar with the original release of UT 2004, on the box sold in North America it states get $10 in the form of a rebate. Once inside the box, us Canadians realized by North America it meant United States only.

Sigh...

Game publishers: US != North America

Since both Canada and Mexico are in North America, why are they not considered "Americans"?

Sorry for this off-topic rant, but really! It truely seems as though the US thinks US = America. What about South American countries? Are they not "Americans" as well?

Not trying to flame anyone or anything here, just the typical attitude that the US is the center of the world.

Originally posted by Alec§taar:

Quote:
Originally posted by adamvjackson:
Quote:
The US is the center of the world.

It's not?

smile

* LOL!

APK

P.S.=> It's the center of the UNIVERSE man!!! apk

Well you've managed to steal the English language; there is no such thing as 'US English' in my book! I hope Microsoft realises it one day!

wink

Bah! US English! Don't even get me started man, seriously! :P

Americans are native Americans

English are English

'New' Americans are just English quitters, couldn't hack it over here so y'all moved to a different side of the world!!! :P

(Said with tongue firmly in cheek btw)

Originally posted by Waffler:

Quote:
'New' Americans are just English quitters, couldn't hack it over here so y'all moved to a different side of the world!!! :P

In retrospect, they probably did the right thing (at least since the state the UK is in now).

Originally posted by ross_aveling:

Quote:
at least since the state the UK is in now.

By that I assume you mean the fact that we seem to be 10 years behind the rest of the Western world?

Correct me if I'm wrong by all means....

Originally posted by Waffler:

Quote:
By that I assume you mean the fact that we seem to be 10 years behind the rest of the Western world?

In technology terms you mean? Well, perhaps. Only now has broadband filtered through to the masses (at a moderately high expense). Even so, there are many places in the UK that have to survive on dialup.

Britons tend to have a less enthusiastic attitude towards the internet overall, moreso than anywhere else in Europe (let alone the rest of the world). I still know many people who are afraid to use their credit cards for purchases over the internet no matter how much I champion the benefits.

Otherwise, I was having a general moan about the usual things; you know, high taxes, the disgustingly high price of fuel (and you Americans moan about your prices ;)), state of the roads... the list could go on, but that would be for another forum. smile

Originally posted by adamvjackson:

Quote:
Since both Canada and Mexico are in North America, why are they not considered "Americans"?

My guess is that it's because America is a part of the US of A's name. USA-ans doesn't roll off the tongue, and United State's of Americans is a bit long winded, hence "Americans".

Saying North/Central/South Americans I'd figure would be a comment regarding natives.

BTW, why is it that people from Canada are Canadians? Shouldn't they be Canadans? They're not from a country called Canadia, are they? American's aren't called Americians. smile

:P

I love how a UT2003 warning can end up in a discussion about semantics. Gotta love forums.

Originally posted by ConQueso:

I love how a UT2003 warning can end up in a discussion about semantics. Gotta love forums.

Yep, and how everyone remains civil and calm, too smile