Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

Compaq Prosignia VS Series 3420 & Veritas Backup Exec

I'm trying to give phone support to a guy that has a Compaq Prosignia VS machine (series 3420). He has so far been unsuccessful in resurrecing this machine, which was disconnected from his network a long time ago (he tells me).

Since the pc cannot boot into any kind of useable interface, & the former IT manager cannot be reached, he has no clue as to what OS is even loaded on this thing. His superiors inform him that the machine contains data/programs that can be of use to the company. But, none of these people have a clue as to the machine's history.

Anyway, he tells me that when the pc is booted, he sees a screen with this on it (I don't know how it's presented, since I've never been in front of this pc):

Backup Exec

v 7.01

Serial # xx-xxxx-xxx-xxxxxx

Enter = session info

ctrl+x = exit

*There may be an option or 2 that I have forgotten, but nothing major I believe

Going from memory of our conversation, I believe that if he tries either option he is presented with a screen to enter a username/password, of which he has neither (of course).

I dunno, this is way over my head. I have never used or even heard of "Backup Exec". The only thing I know is that it may be a product of http://www.veritas.com/products/listing/ProductListingByFamily.jhtml?categoryId=120. All he wants is to get passed this & to the OS, what ever it may be.

Thoughts/ideas are most appreciated, as always smile

Is it only data you want off the box?

If it is why not take out the drive put it in another box and access the drive as drive 'D' or whatever and do a copy/paste of what is needed assuming you can access that drive when the O/S is not active.