Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tom-boy

Irfanview vs. slowview

Can anyone here recommend one or the other of these apps? Previously, I've used ACDsee, but it was a bit too hefty and too expensive for my needs, so I switched to Irfanview. It has proven to be quite nice editor/movie viewer, but recently I have also heard good comments about Slowview,ie. it is supposed to be a combination of the good features of both ACDsee and IV. There's also been some negative comments about, especially in running in Win2k environment. Can anyone clarify these issues? ;(

I use PicaView by the same mob behind ACDSee but that only allows you to look at one image at a time and therefore is probably not suitable for use as a replacement for ACDSee or IrfanView. XP has something called the "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" (if someone knows how to get this associated back with images after installing Office XP and Photo Editor then I'd love to hear it) which I use a lot but thats probably not an option either...

Nope, sorry Sir, I'm running Win2kPro,so XP apps aren't a choice in my case. but I bear this in mind in case I have to (yes: have to) switch to XP smile

IrfanView all the way.

Small, good interface, easy to use.

Great list of plugins too, and everything is free.

yup, I've been quite happy myself with IV,too, especially with it's great plug-in adaptabilities. It's my default mediaplayer as well and with all the codecs available, it's just sweeeet. But, still, I'd like to get some user opinions on Shortview. Is it as good as they claim it to be? I guess we are on constant prowl for new applications, even when we are totally happy with what we got smile But there you are, you spent a lot of time with comps, so I guess it's just natural that you want to get the most out of your systems and apps.

Quote:

Avalanche

IrfanView all the way.

Small, good interface, easy to use.

Great list of plugins too, and everything is free.
Couldn't of said it better. Nice small program, very fast loading and closing of program, far better than Photoeditor from M$ (in Office) works with avi files better than Media Player!

If you want a slideshow and photoeditor I use ThumbsPlus V5. It's a very large program, the database can get large also and it does a whole lot, BUT it's a resource hog big time!

yup, I guess this settles it,then, although there're no comments about Slowview smile Irfanview will still retain it's position as (also mine) best photoeditor+medialplayer, at least in a freeawre category. I probably should start a new thread about this, but let's see what happens:

Do you know some good media converter/editor, preferably free? I've tried Stoick converter demo, but in one case it refused to convert anything bigger that 2Mb (duh) and in other it wouldn't convert .mov's to .wmv's or AVI's? I would need to convert some bigger .mov files into smaller .wmv's and then back to .mov's since the Honestech editor neither doesn't handle .mov.

I can't think of a single program off the top of my head.

There's several that do the trick, but they are spe[censored]ed for single purposes. virtualdub, tmpenc, etc.

The best idea is to just go to www.vcdhelp.com and go through their tutorials. They have info on just about any format conversion you could possibly do, and most of them have freeware options.

Great, thanks a bunch, Avalanche! I took a peek before replying and it seems to have what I was looking for laugh Now all there is to do is choosing between alternatives. Thanks again.