Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

.Net Server: Do your CDROM's show in Disk Management?

Each time I go into Disk Management, it takes about 30 seconds for it to initialize (i.e., to show me any disks), which in my opinion is way too long. But the weird thing is my optical drives (CDROM & DVDROM) do not appear. They appear in My Computer & work fine too. I want to change the drive letters for them, but am unable to do so.

Strangely, if I unplug the power cables to both optical drives & boot back into Windows, then Disk Management initializes almost instantly.

I have tried different drivers for my Adaptec 39160, but this hasn't helped any. All my hard disks are SCSI, & both optical drives are IDE.

Quote:
Each time I go into Disk Management, it takes about 30 seconds for it to initialize (i.e., to show me any disks), which in my opinion is way too long. But the weird thing is my optical drives (CDROM & DVDROM) do not appear. They appear in My Computer & work fine too. I want to change the drive letters for them, but am unable to do so.

Strangely, if I unplug the power cables to both optical drives & boot back into Windows, then Disk Management initializes almost instantly.

I have tried different drivers for my Adaptec 39160, but this hasn't helped any. All my hard disks are SCSI, & both optical drives are IDE.

no speed problems here
all drives show

Damn, this sure is strange. My CDROMs used to show in Disk Management, & were drive letters Y & Z respsectively.

The problem actually began today, after I was fooling around with Microsoft's Ram Drive utility. By default Ram Drive takes drive letter Z. Thus, 1 of my CDROMs was reassigned letter D instead. That's when I noticed both optical drives disappeared from Disk Management & the utility now began taking forever to start when ever I try to access it.

I killed & uninstalled the Ram Drive (deleted its folder too), but the problem persists. Damn, I'm way too x) to begin another fresh installation.

Somebody please throw me a bone here.....

Originally posted by Ron_Jeremy:

Quote:

This is caused by your local security policy. To fix it, go to Admin Tools->Local Security Policy->Local Policies->Security Options. Look for the option Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged on user only. You must set this to Disabled. Restart, and your drives should magically appear in disk management :-)

Hope this helps

Stuart