Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tpe

DV (JVC digital video camera) to Laptop (IBM thinkpad)

Just wondering if it is possible to get an IBM thinkpad A30 running XP with PC slots I II and III to read digital video from a digital video camea that only has DV and AV out?

This is for a friend that has no real experience with any of the equipment and has just bought the whole lot at once and is now a bit upset as even after having bought almost every cable under the sun he still cant get the two talking.

DV is something i have no experience with either but i should think that to get a laptop to read it would only be possible if there is some kind of PC card that has a DV in facility? After had a quick look around the net but the nearest seems to be PCMA Firewire.

Has anyone got any ideas how this may be possible and what he would have to buy?

Many thanks

tpe

I'm no expert on this either, as I use firewire on both my PC and DV camcorder to transfer data.

I guess you could always get a card that has AV in. Not sure if these exist either though. A TV card or something might be your next best bet, as you could hook the camera up to that.

Again, not sure if these are available in PC Card format.

Thanks for the reply Bursar.

The nearest thing i have found is a Firewire/IEEE 1394 PC card that seems to do the trick. i do not know if IEEE 1394 is just the normal DV standard though, the camera has only DV and AV out and i am worried that IEEE 1394 is firewire and not DV. any ideas on this?

the PC card link is beloww

http://www.firewire-1394.com/pcmcia-firewire-siig-dual.htm

tpe

IEEE1394=Firewire=iLink. Lost likely is DV, as all DV cams that I know of use firewire. Just check either your owner's manual or the manufacturer's web site to be sure.