Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tomay

Celeron Tualatin NOT idle in win XP

I have a ABIT ST6 Raid MB with a 1,3 GHz celeron. Before the 1,3 I had a 900Mhz celeron. There is however a certain difference between those two beside speed. On the 900 I could notice when it was idle cos the cpufan had a lower pitch (noise), when it was not idle it had a higher pitch (the cpufan was spinning faster I suppouse). But with the new tualatin the fan is the same speed all the time idle or not idle. Cos of that the cpu is quite warm all the time. The difference between idle and not idle is 4°C (49 idle 53 not idle) as far I can remember it was much more on the 900 Celeron. I tried the cpufan from the old celeron, but it was the same. I tried cpuidle and some other software cooling programs but they have no effect. SP1 didn't fix this. Does anyone have this problem on a tualatin cleron or PIII? ;( What about P4's or amd's. What is the temperature difference between idle and not idle?

Please help.

Does your motherboard support variable fan speeds? Is there an option in your bios? In Win2k/XP, CPUSTOP instructions are sent when the cpu is idle, so software such as cpuidle is (imo) not going to do too much for you. On my P4, there is only about 4-5 degrees cel. difference between load and idle. If heat's an issue, personally, I'd upgrade your HSF. After looking for only a few minuites, I found this HSF that'd probably help out a lot: http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v9.htm

Also, are you using heat transfer compound, such as Artic Silver, or are you using a pad? I've seen Artic Silver drop a cpu temp 1-2 degrees cel. In that regard, it's worth the $7-9 US that a tube of Artic Silver costs.

Quote:
I have a ABIT ST6 Raid MB with a 1,3 GHz celeron. Before the 1,3 I had a 900Mhz celeron. There is however a certain difference between those two beside speed. On the 900 I could notice when it was idle cos the cpufan had a lower pitch (noise), when it was not idle it had a higher pitch (the cpufan was spinning faster I suppouse). But with the new tualatin the fan is the same speed all the time idle or not idle. Cos of that the cpu is quite warm all the time. The difference between idle and not idle is 4°C (49 idle 53 not idle) as far I can remember it was much more on the 900 Celeron. I tried the cpufan from the old celeron, but it was the same. I tried cpuidle and some other software cooling programs but they have no effect. SP1 didn't fix this. Does anyone have this problem on a tualatin cleron or PIII? ;( What about P4's or amd's. What is the temperature difference between idle and not idle?
Please help.

my cpus run between 35 and 37