Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bytemangler

Does anyone have a better idea

I search the forum but I can't find related topic to this. Here's my test.

I created a user profile in Win2K server (user1). Profile path is root:\users\username. Home is \\root\home\username. My problem is with the home drive assignment. This setup let users see other users folders event though they can't access it. I want to assign drive x: to all users and it would be only their folder they are seeing. Which mean drive x: is everyone's home drive but different folder. I fix it but using the share with $ option and created a user's folder from the c:\username$. Ideally I don't want to have 20 or 30 user folders located on the root drive. I prefer them all located in HOME folder I have created.

Server is w2K

wks is NT 4 and win9X

Any idea?

OK in the users profile where you difine where the home directory is you will need to do something like this:

\\root\home\%username%

The %username% is a envirment varible that has the users name in it. This will work for NT, 2000, and XP. There is not way to do this in 9X that I know of.

My original setup turns out to be correct. The laptop I was testing on got win98. I install win2K and the the profile setting works fine. The drive mapping is good. There is some funky issue that appear when a user log on. The message is "..windows cannot created the profile directory \\server\users\username.pds...please contact network adminstrator"

I gave the user full admin access and still the message. What you guy make of it? I tried every configuration thinking it was a access level issue.