Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sotiris

INTERNET CAFE

HELLO.DO YOU KNOW ANY PROGRAM WHICH CAN LOCK SOME ITEMS IN WINDOWS XP LIKE CONTROL PANEL....

I HAVE A STORE WITH 30 PC'S FOR GAMING AND INTERNET ACCESS

THERE IS NETWORK 100Mbs ALL HAVE WINXP HOME AND THE SERVER IS

WINXP PRO.I AM LOOKING FOR A PROGRAM WHICH CAN LOCK PCS,TIME-LIMIT ACCESS,REMOTE SOFTWARE CONTROL,LOCK DEVICES LIKE FLOPPY...

THANKS.

Ok, first a question: you have 30 pcs, and a server running xp pro, right? I assume based off of that that you have your network set up in a workgroup. I was under the understanding that a workgroup was limited to 10 pcs. XP pro can support connecting to domains, a feature that was left out of the home edition. If it's at all possible, I would recommend loading 2k server on the xp pro machine, and setting up a domain controller. By doing so, you would need to have xp pro on the workstations, though. By setting up a domain, you could just define a general security policy to disable many features that you did not want your customers to be able to have access to. Perhaps someone else will have a more cost-effective solution, though. As far as the remote control, I'd check out either VNC or Radmin. VNC is open-source (a little buggy, but bearable) and Radmin is commercial software. Radmin does have a few more features, however. As for locking the floppy drive, you may find a feature to disable that in bios. I don't think you can disable the floppy in a security policy, so that may be necessary.

Quote:

Yea... use gpedit.msc or secpol.msc & in their content there is a tool that can enable/disable control panel elements & also floppies & more...

(Alot like poledit.exe could do in the past...)

* smile

APK

u beat me too it, that is a great tool, i checkws it out the other day - just go in and u can change ALOT of features and security settings.