Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Jedi X

NFS: High Stakes won't work

Hi. I've tried to get NFS: High Stakes to work under Windows 2000, but after in install and patch it something of the following happens:

a) This program has caused.....(etc, etc)....a error log is being created

B) Need for Speed files are corrupted, please re-install

c) A WEIRD message about something ending with a comma(?) and I need to restart.

I restarted the computer but no dice. I did exactly as it said in the Compatibility->Games->Need for Speeed: High Stakes (Windows 2000) section. I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Yeah High Stakes is the absolute worst game to get working under Windows 2000. If you are going to install with the method here on NTCompatible, it only works with SP2 or lower, I tried with SP3 and it wouldn't work. If you get the files are corrupt then their is no chance of it working. If you get a patch restart, try adding the -d3d1 parameter so NFS will work with your 3D card. Other than that, search the forums for High Stakes you will come across many frustrated users and some possible solutions.

Strange, I could never get to work with SP2 but after I installed SP3 and the App Comp ToolKit 2.6 that came out post-SP3 (2.5 in SP3) and installed it using the instructions here I got it working. Only problem is that the game doesnt save my video settings, so every time I launch the game I have to adjust the graphic settings, but it works.

Damn. And it's my favourite racing game too (I detest Porsche Unleashed). Oh, well. Maybe NFS3 will work. By the way, I downloaded ACT 2.6 and I'm not really sure how to use it. For example, I see there is a fix for Need for Speed II Special edition, but I'm not sure what to do. When I click Run a window pops up, and in the "Program:" line is a file called _INS0432._MP, but I don't see it anywhere in my NFS2SE folder. Can anyone help? Tnx

Quote:
Strange, I could never get to work with SP2 but after I installed SP3 and the App Comp ToolKit 2.6 that came out post-SP3 (2.5 in SP3) and installed it using the instructions here I got it working. Only problem is that the game doesnt save my video settings, so every time I launch the game I have to adjust the graphic settings, but it works.

Yeah anytime I got the game to work, I had the exact same problem.