Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
adamvjackson

Maxtor does 15,000 rpm drive Atlas 15k II

Also, Maxtor has released some new IDE drives with 80GB per platter... A 320GB drive is going to be released soon, if not already. On a sour note, Maxtor has lowered their warranties from 3 years to 1 year.... 8)

Yep, I'd be eyeing that 320 if it wasn't for the 1yr. Bad move Maxtor. I would have bought 10 of your 320's...oh well. NO MONEY FOR YOU!

I haven't read the specifics, but I believe the 1 year warranty starts 10/1/02... Hopefully drives purchased before that date are grandfathered.

Quote:
ibm also makes a 15k drive

Western digital i think was one of the first 15,000 rpm IDE drives, but it was only availible in 18 and 36g sizes.

this was maybe 2 months back...

i saw the nice 200g HD out, but they are like $650 canadian.!!

not sure who was first. the x15 came out sometime mid last year in the 4meg buffer flavor.

i also think it was a touch slower at 3.7ms than it is now.

ibm is more expensive but i got this at a really sweet price (125usd)

so i couldnt pass that up

Quote:
Quote:

Western digital i think was one of the first 15,000 rpm IDE drives, but it was only availible in 18 and 36g sizes.

??
Links please.
As far as I'm aware no IDE drive faster than 7200rpm exists.
Experiments into faster IDE drives (IBM published some of their findings) was a heat issue and the end result was staying at 7200rpm was the only current option.

Quote:

;( IBM can burn in hell for all I care! I will never purchase another one of their crappy drives. Reliablility is something IBM can't seem to get with their IDE drives and I'd avoid their SCSI ones in case their workmanship---or lack of---filters into the SCSI line.

i personally havent owned a ide drive for a long long time. so i only know about the ibm scsi's

ibm had a batch of drives (10k ultra2's) that had failure probs after about 10000 hours.

at the time i was running 11 of that batch and 2 failed at 8 and 9k hours. it was a hard failure that destroyed the inside (it was a mess im tellin ya)

since then i have 25 total ibm drives, (ultra2's, 160's, 10k and 15k) that have anywhere from 1000 25000 hours with 0 probs.

so as far as ibm scsi goes i will continue to buy em because the 2 failures out of the 70-80 drives isnt too bad.

ps: the IT group did have a mess of wd ide drives that failed but i wasnt directly involved.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

??
Links please.
As far as I'm aware no IDE drive faster than 7200rpm exists.
Experiments into faster IDE drives (IBM published some of their findings) was a heat issue and the end result was staying at 7200rpm was the only current option.

Hey m8, will look at that now.

i found one the western (the 120g drives), - but they were just comparing it to SCSI drives cuase of it's 8mb buffer. - only 7200 RPM.

The other one was a Fujitsu -

Fujitsu's Silent Strike: The MAM3184MP With Ultra160 and 15,000 rpm

• Fujitsu MAM3184MP
    Capacity----------- 18.4 / 36.8 GB
    Rotation speed---- 15,000 rpm
    Seek Time--------- 3.5 ms
    Cache Memory---- 8096 KB
    Warranty----------- 3 years

Fujitsu has set high goals for itself: back in January, we tested a 10,000 rpm drive (MAN3367MP) that impressed with its performance and acceptable noise level. Now, Fujitsu has upped the stakes once more - the MAM series at 15,000 rpm is supposed to conquer the high-end sector. Just one word in advance: Fujitsu is a master of its trade.

According to Fujitsu's website, this drive offers seek times of only 3.5 ms, a speed that had been considered almost impossible only a few years ago. The tradeoff for such high performance is a low data density: 17,716 bit/mm (450,000 bpi), a figure which is anything but record-breaking. However, low data density is a neccessity at such high rotation speeds. Fujitsu offers two models, the MAM3184 at 18.4 GB and the MAM3367 at 36.7 GB. These drives use two and four platters respectively, which amounts to approximately 9.2 GB per platter, and here you can see that this is hardly comparable with the latest IDE drives (WD1200JB: 40 GB per platter).

The first drive to run at 15,000 rpm was Seagate's Cheetah X15 (read the review). On the one hand, we were a bit disappointed by the fact that it was not able to set new records in data transfer speeds. On the other hand, the seek times of 3.9 ms were unmatched at the time of the review. In the end, this drive offered extremely high application performance, making it suitable for workstations and servers.

Fujitsu launched their latest series in order to combine all of the important qualities such as high data transfer rates and quick access times, as well as acceptable temperatures and tolerable noise levels. The result is the MAM series; we received the 18 GB model for review.
[/list:u]