Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
newtie

xp pro disk space problem...

I'm running xp pro and am trying to copy large files (4 gb +) and have over 133 gb free on the drive and I am getting a 'not enough avalible disk space error.' the drive i'm writing to is an external maxtor 160gb firewire. I have also had the problem on my fixed drives. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Are you running NTFS on all drives? Cause I'm pretty sure FAT32 can't handle more than 2GB files...

My external was supposed to be ntfs but i just checked and its fat32, guess that explains that. Thanks.

It will in some cases copy over above the 4Gig limit, BUT the file will not be usable, corrupt. I saw this on a couple 5Gig video files, they would copy just not function.

Quote:
have over 133 gb free on the drive

you have 133GB free on a fat32 partition?

How in the hell does that work? I have never been able to make a FAT32 partition over 32 GB.

I thought 2000/XPs disk tools only created 32Gb FAT32 partitions (Microsoft limit it on purpose to try and make you use NTFS on larger drives but it really shouldn't be necessary since, if you had any sense at all, you'd use NTFS without even thinking about it) and you needed Win98s tools to create partitions larger than that.

It is only w9X that has the 2.1GB file size limit, AFAIK, not the FAT32 issue. You can create a partition over about 63.8GB limit, but not with FDISK, using some 3rd party utitlities such as ghost, disk manager, etc, would do the trick.