Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

Is the XP serial key stored in the registry?

I remember when I was using 98 I could search for the serial key in the registry.. but it doesn't show up in XP.

Could someone tell me where to find it plz?

There is a little utility floating around the net that shows the registration number, and another one that lets you change the serial, if by chance your serial spells something rude. Some of the big boys have even talked about a third one that actually makes serials...

H.

http://xpkeyviewer.freeservers.com/main.html

allows you to view your xpkey, dunno why you need to, i always write mine behind my keyboard on a sticky note incase i loose it, but use that for whatever purpose, worked fine when i tried it on home edition so i assume it works on pro, i dont condone piracy in anyway i hope sp1 locks you all out!

got my key memorized:

FCKGW-RHQ.......lol, just kidding!

i actually got a legit copy....for once.

Search for ProductID, you will got it there, it is truncated from your serial key by means of some sort of highlord mathematics wink

OK, so I have a bootleg copy. In another thread, someone was saying that they couldn't run windows update. Is that because they added SP1? If so, I may have to change my key, very easy to do since they are written on the side of quite a few cases. wink

First, I really shouldn't support any pirated copys, but I had to clarify a few things here. First, windows update is not supposed to identify product ids until 10/1/02. Second, yes, you can change your key, and hopefully no one here will tell you how, you'll need to find that out yourself. Third, if you're using the corporate key, which you indicated so, the keys on the sides of cases will not work, since those are to be activated, all oem keys either require activation, or are tied to oem bios strings for activation. Best of luck, and I seriously recommend buying your next microsoft operating system.

I think I once downloaded a malicous program, when I was scanning my computer for ad ware I found some in my registry. Is it possible that the program was stealing my CD key? My version is completely legal.

I got some logs: Deleting:Lop.com.1.HKEY_CURRENT_USER.2.software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\backup.

Deleting:Lop.com.1.HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.2.swish.toolband.

Deleting:Lop.com.1.HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.2.swish.toolband.1.

yea i got lop'ed awhile ago... what a pain to remove

if there ever was a candidate for a ddos...

(did i say that out loud)