Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
adrianhall

Drive mapping DOS to XP

I'm hoping someone can provide some words of wisdom on this. I have 2 XP machines connected to my Vigor 2200USB router/switch, I want to be able to boot one into DOS and map to a drive on the other. I have had this working but I can't find the boot-up disk I created and everything I have tried since hasn't worked (basically I want to be able to use Norton Ghost to save images on the other machine)

I have created a boot-up disk using Ghost Boot-Disk wizard, using the drive mapping option. It runs through a couple of questions then creates the disk. When I boot up however, first I get prompted for a network name/password. I don't know if this is the Vigor combination, my other machines combo, etc, whatever username/password I enter it says I was logged on but not verified by a server. This used to happen previously so no trouble there.

When it gets to the NET USE statement to map the drive, it says password is invalid, I'm prompted to enter one but it says invalid. If I try NET VIEW to view all machines in current domain I get an error 6118 (I think), NET VIEW \\machine-name doesn't work, so it looks like I'm not getting past the Vigor. I've tried 3 different DOS drivers for my NIC (3C905C-TX) in case it's that. I've tried using DHCP setting and manually setting IP addresses but still no go.

Basically I'm stumped, especially as it used to work no problem - any ideas?

Since you are getting the "username" prompt then you seem to have almost everything setup right. At this point, all you need is a valid user account on the XP account to connect with. What I would do is make another account on the XP machine and make sure that user has access to the share(s) in question. Once that is completed, boot up the DOS box again and this time enter the username as <Machine Workgroup>\<New Username> and the affiliated password. Remember, this information will be saved onto the floppy, so don't assign admin privies to this account as it will a security hole. Once this is completed, you should be able to boot the machine and run straight to the command prompt.

Still no joy - I've tried every form of username/password from Administrator to <blank> but it doesn't work, just get error 5, access denied.

The original boot disk I created was made with Norton Ghost boot wizard, which includes TCP and NETBUI protocols, NETBUI isn't installed on the other machine. I can ping the machine by IP address but the name isn't resolved.

After failing this time with Ghost's disk, I created a disk using Nick Christou's v7.51 setup. Again, I can ping, if I browse for machines it even picks up the names of both machines. I get error 53 for the machine I'm connecting from and error 5 when connecting to my other machine. It also still can't resolve the name on ping, yet the name is displayed correctly when browsing the network.

It wasn't this hard to set up last time - the only thing different on the XP box is SP1 is now installed, whether that has affected anything I don't know, but I'm not going to uninstall it, the machine is working nicely to disturb it wink

Just called it home. Tried logging in as Home\Administrator, the Christou boot disk error'ed every time with that.

So you used "home\administrator" and the associated password right? Make sure that the password isn't blank, as that might have an ill effect on the logon from DOS.