Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
appzattak

Have you installed SP1???

Well I just installed it on my IBM Thinkpad and the install went well. The only problem I have is when I go into control panel and select the Add/Remove icon i get this "Parser Message" Value Creation Failed " at line 472.

and it wont let me into the add/remove box. I also installed it on my IBm netvista PC and the same thing, so I tried my white box pc and still the same prob. all three machines run legit copies of xp pro.

Looks like it might be a bug, let me know if anyone else has this problem.

I installed it earlier, and it works just fine for me. I haven't actually installed or uninstalled any software since applying SP1, but I get into the Add/Remove Programs list with no problems.

I've heard of it from a few boards...apparently the workaround is to use the programs uninstall link in the start menu or manually find its uninstall key in the registry.

Microsoft have published a document to OEM's regarding known issues..I have it but don't remember where i stole it from laugh

Sorry for the size of the post but I had to cut and paste the crap.

Intel Indeo codec removed from XP SP1 slipstream media

Intel Application Accelerator 2.3.2135: install makes XPSP1 unbootable

After upgrading Windows XP to SP1 the installation of Intel's Application Accelerator build 2.3.2135 may cause the system to fail to boot back into Windows. Instead it loops at

the F8 screen regardless whether You select Safe mode, Start Windows Normally or Last good configuration. Selecting any of the above causes the system to reboot and return to the same screen repeatedly.

Resolution: Reinstall Windows to a clean directory.

More information: Intel Application Accelerator 2.3.2135 is a beta driver. Intel is aware of this issue and is working wih us to resolve this driver bug.

Mobile Favorites no longer show Thumbnail View

This behavior is by design and is a change from Windows XP RTM. Due to possible security vulnerability, the thumbnail view (which showed web content) has been replaced by a standard Internet Explorer icon. There is no way to restore the old behavior as this was a deliberate change to the Windows XP product.

Roxio Direct CD 5.1 fails writing large files

Steps to reproduce this error:

On a computer with Windows XP 2600 , install Roxio 5.02 then upgrade it to 5.1. Verify the application works by formatting a CD-R using Direct CD and verify functionality with files of various sizes.

Upgrade Windows using SP1. (This issue is exposed in SP builds 1089 and above.) Format a CD-R using Direct CD and verify functionality with files of various sizes. Note that small files and large directories of small files write fine.

When writing large (100 MB+ estimated) files to a Direct CD formatted disc the process hangs indefinitely.

Resolution: Currently there is no fix or workaround for this problem. Customers will need to contact Roxio to determine if/when a fix will be available.

More information: Roxio is aware of this problem but no new information is available. Debugging information was made available to to Roxio on 8/20 shows the problem to be in Roxio’s driver file CDUDF_XP.SYS.

Warning: that Yamaha AG-XG Audio will not be available or Windows Media Player Error: Cannot play back the audio stream.

Message: Warning that “Yamaha AG-XG Audio will not be available after SP1 upgrade” or “Windows Media Player Error: Cannot play back the audio stream; no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding” when trying to play music or view video in Windows Media Player.

This problem will occur on Toshiba 9000/9100 series laptops – which contain the Yamaha AG-XG audio card and drivers. If the user performed an attended installation or upgrade of service pack 1, the user will see the warnings after setup completes to indicate that the audio driver will not work after the upgrade. During an unattended installation the user will see NO warning, but the audio/sound device will be ‘banged out’ (yellow exclamation point) in Windows Device Manager to indicate the current drivers are not installed.

Toshiba – Updated drivers for the Toshiba 9000/9100 series laptops are available now at the Toshiba support web site. They will also be available on Windows Update at some later date (no ETA).

Sony – Updated drivers for the Sony Vaio laptops will be available from the Sony web site once Sony publishes these drivers (no ETA). The correct drivers will be dated more recently than 5/22/02.

The newer drivers should have a version number higher than v3150 for the YACXGC.SYS driver OR higher than v2150 for YACXG.SYS.

Possible workaround for other systems: install the Intel audio driver through Device Manager using the following steps:

1) Update Driver  Choose “Advanced”

2) Hardware Update Wizard  Choose “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install.”

3) Pick Intel driver when prompted.

Toshiba Portege 2000 or 4000 can no longer use Modem after Upgrading to SP1

This problem is caused by insufficient hardware ID detection by Toshiba drivers hosted on the Windows Update site. Updated drivers should be available on Windows Update to resolve the problem, but if correct drivers cannot be found quickly, please refer the user to their original Toshiba Portege pre-installation CD-ROM or to the Toshiba web site – specific for the laptop model being updated – to obtain all 3 necessary (and dependant) Toshiba drivers:

1. Registry for Ali Audio Accelerator (2000 series only)

2. Sound card driver

3. Modem driver

After placing unzipped copies of these drivers into known locations on the user’s workstation, the user can update these drivers through the Windows Device manager – referencing these locations for the updated drivers.

Highpoint 372 disk controller driver removed from XPSP1 integrated media

Highpoint has recently updated the bios on their cards so they no longer work with our inbox (Windows XP) driver. The original Windows XP driver is the same driver as the one that was to be included in XPSP1.

Removing the driver from XPSP1, helps those who upgrade an existing system as the driver will be migrated instead of overwritten and the upgrade will succeed instead of fail. Note: It will make it harder for people installing a new system because they will have to get the driver from Highpoint to get the system installed. http://www.highpoint-tech.com

By removing the driver from XPSP1, we fix scenarios 1, 2 and 5. For 3 & 4, customers will need to use F6 to get the driver installed which they would have to do anyway if we did nothing.

1. WinXP -> XP slipstream SP1

2. Win2K -> XP slipstream SP1

3. NT4 --> XP slipstream SP1

4. WinME --> XP slipstream SP1

5. XP slipstream SP1 -> reapply or reinstall XP slipstream SP1

DVD Playback has frequent glitches, skips or slowdowns since upgrade to Windows XP SP1

Occasionally, the installation of Windows XP SP1 will not be able to correctly identify the need for updated DVD drivers for particular brands and vendors DVD playing software. Usually, a dialog box will appear after SP1 installation indicating the web site the user will want to visit to download the latest drivers or software updates. In the case when this dialog does not appear and DVD audio and video playback seems slow or stuttered, it may be necessary to run two command-line tools to trigger DVD driver/software detection for Windows XP compatibility.

To determine if a software upgrade/update is necessary for the user, use the following steps (Note: the user must be a Local Administrator to run these commands):

1. Open a Command Prompt

2. In the Command Prompt, type DVDUPGRD /DETECT – it may take up to 10 seconds for the resulting dialog to appear

3. Once the ‘Detected DVD decoders’ dialog appears, check for a line near the bottom of the dialog for “W2k Upgrade=”. If the ‘W2k Upgrade=” entry =”no”, the software decoder is already on a Windows XP compatible version and troubleshooting will have to proceed using other methods

4. If this entry =”yes”, the DVD decoder software requires an update from the software vendor.

If the software requires an update, have the user type DVDUPGRD /UPGRADE and a resulting UI will appear providing the user access to updated decoder software. No dialog will appear if no upgrade is needed

System Restore Filter generates event error after SP1 update (event ID 1) bug 632640

After up[censored] Windows XP to Service Pack 1 there is an error in the event viewer. The file listed in as being processed may be different to each update of SP1. In this example 'sysaudio.sys' is displayed by event viewer.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: sr

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1

Date: 5/30/2002

Time: 2:57:00 PM

User: N/A

Computer: VT9001D

Description:

The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000056' while processing the file 'sysaudio.sys' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume2'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

ASound 10/100 Ethernet adapter does not work after upgrading to XPSP1 standalone version.

Windows XP does not natively support the Asound 10/100 Ethernet. Under Windows XP gold 2600 customer will install 3rd party drivers for this adapter. Upgrading to XPSP1 will cause this adapter to no longer function.

Cause: During setup to SP1 using integrated media setup ignores the 3rd party unsigned ASound driver and installs the (SP1 native) signed network adapter driver instead. This signed driver is for the Realtek network adapter and does not work with the ASound network adapter. This driver is installed because ASound uses the same PnP hardware ID as Realtek.

Resolution: Rollback the network adapter driver to the previous working version or reinstall the 3rd party network adapter driver.

Supported USB 2.0 Host Controller does not work after upgrading to XPSP1

After upgrading to XPSP1 supported USB 2.0 Host Controllers still display an exclamation point in device manager and do not function.

Resolution: Remove the unknown device from Device Manager and choose “Scan for hardware changes.” The USB 2.0 Host Controller will be correctly detected and installed.

Cannot remove Windows Messenger, Internet Explorer or Media Player – Q327390

Consent decree feature: Windows XP SP1 provides a new feature in Add/Remove Programs called Set Program Access and Defaults. This feature allows for the configuration of certain Windows programs such as Internet Explorer, Windows Messenger and Media Player. Configuration of these applications can remove specific access from the Start Menu and desktop.

Issue: Customers choose to remove access to Windows Messenger through Set Program Access and Defaults. Messenger will still launch when the customer loads Outlook Express.

Cause: Set Program Access and Defaults does not remove program code from the computer. Certain Windows applications rely on other application code to function correctly. In this example, Outlook Express causes Windows Messenger to load because it looks for the Messenger “contacts” list when launched.