Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tweaked

the first winxp post sp1 bug found

aight, i got 2 hard drives, C & F, The OS is on F. i am trying to configure my pagefile to be on C. F is smallish and dedicated just to OS, C is Big ass fast as hell SCSI raid...

winxp will only put my pagefile on F...

if i set it to 1.5 gb pf on C, it puts in on F.

if i set up a 100 mb pf on c, it puts a 1.5gb pf on F

if i set a 100 mb pf on F i get just that a 100 mb pf on F...

if i set it up for no pf anywhere, it puts a 1.5 gb pf on F...

very frustrating...

i can't make it NOT put a PF on F...

wierd & annoying...

any thoughts/questions?

that leaves me with just a 32 mg pf on F, it won't put a full pf on C...

i set it to:

1536 on C

and a 32 on F

and i get just a 32 mb pf on F...

WTF?

I was always under the impression that not having a page file on your boot disk would cause Windows to inform you that it won't be able to create a dump file, and that the feature would need to be disabled.

Given that the dump files aren't that useful to most mortals, turning them off shouldn't represent much of a problem.

Maybe MS figured that we really shouldn't be turning them off, and despite many people not being able to comprehend them, we should all give up valuable disk space for them frown

F is what i boot from, it DOES have ntldr on it but it is not IDE, it is SCSI like C, F drive is SCSI drive 0, the "boot" drive.

if i put a 32 meg pf on it and a pf of anysize on c, i only have the 32 mb pf on F... it puts no pf on C... according to windows (advanced options) but it does put a pagefile.sys file on C.. it just does not use it... (i can tell the difference between a 32mb pf and a 1.5gb performance wise) (I listen to HD access my C has a very different sound than F)...

is it because my C drive is a software stripe maybe?

never behaved like this before(pre sp-1), maybe i should backup me shite and unstripe to see if thats it...

aaaarrrrhgggghhhh....

deleted striped volume and made into 2 seperate HD's.

i set the pf to be 1024 to 2048 on C:

it created 1024 pagefile.sys on C and a 1.5gb pf on F... AGAIN!

grrr...

gonna create a pf on c and f again on purpose and see what that does.. gotta go to werk for now though.

yeah that'll do it for the first time at least

me, i'm going to reformat and reinstall my drives...

actually my problem is worse than tweaked-- I can't create pagefiles on any other drive than F:, and cannot change the size of the one on F:. It always holds the "changes" i made to the dialog, but one panel outside it shows 767MB of virtual memory always and the pagefile.sys is always the same and on F: no matter what I tried to change and reboot for it to be moved or resized.

I think you guys must hace corrupted installs, corrupted MBRs, or be doing some other weird sh*t to your systems ;), cos aside from when I 1st moved to XP & the brief time it took me to realise that XP doesn't have to put the swap file in 1 place exclusively [like 9x did], & will actually allow it to exist in multiple places @ the same time, I haven't had any prob with it.

I have 2 HDDs, which have a total of 13 partitions, all FAT32 - & the pagefile goes wherever I tell it to. [yes, I do have SP1 installed]

You have to remember that, unlike 9x, if you tell it to put the page file in a new place, it won't get rid of the old page file unless you specifically tell it to.

In the little Virtual Memory applet, click on any of the drives that have anything listed in the Paging File Size (MB) column, then click on No paging file, then click Set. Then click on the drive you want the paging file to be on, click Custom size, & enter the min & max size you want, then click Set.

As for those who said that XP must have a pagefile [even of a minimum size] on the same drive/partition as windows is installed, I'm sorry for being blunt, but that's utter BS, & I suggest you have a "chat" with whoever told you that. The only time my page file is ever on C [where Windows is on my system] is between the time XP finishes installing & my 1st reboot after that.

As for blaming it on LS-120 drives, sorry, but that theory doesn't fly either, unless it has some sort of jumper for setting what drive letter it uses, & then it's your fault [or the fault of whoever built your PC] for not checking it's set correctly. My mum has an LS-120 in her PC & it performs as drive A [both in DOS & Windows]. Even if you have another normal FDD in there, you should be able to set either that or the LS-120 as B.

FLAME ON:

lets take this one at a time shall we:

Quote:
As for blaming it on LS-120 drives, sorry, but that theory doesn't fly either, unless it has some sort of jumper for setting what drive letter it uses, & then it's your fault [or the fault of whoever built your PC] for not checking it's set correctly. My mum has an LS-120 in her PC & it performs as drive A [both in DOS & Windows]. Even if you have another normal FDD in there, you should be able to set either that or the LS-120 as B.

Your an expert on ls120 drives because you "mum" has one?

In some systems, your hardware will see ls120 and zip drives as a removeable hard drive. this can cause problems installing xp and 2k because it will write the bootloader to the ls120 or zip thinking it is the C: drive. Remove the zip or ls120 disk and suddenly you can't boot. Wich is what Aleecstar was kinda talkin about... remember he said his system saw his ls120 as a C:.

It happens. And it was a valid question as to where the bootloader was installed. having your bootloader on an ls120 disk sux pretty bad.

Quote:
As for those who said that XP must have a pagefile [even of a minimum size] on the same drive/partition as windows is installed, I'm sorry for being blunt, but that's utter BS, & I suggest you have a "chat" with whoever told you that. The only time my page file is ever on C [where Windows is on my system is between the time XP finishes installing & my 1st reboot after that.

no, you weenie, we are saying that you DON'T have to have a pagefile on the same drive as your OS or bootloader, what we are saying is even tho we have set the pagefile.sys to be on a seperate drive it WILL NOT create and use a pagefile on that seperate drive like it is supposed to. THIS IS WHY WE ARE CALLING IT A BUG! ;(

if you are going to TRY to help, try reading the posts fully and understanding what we are complaining about.

wait, i just realised you said all your partitions are fat32... laugh

whatever... ;(

found a fix to my problem tho (if any one is still interested):

grabbed a copy of tweakxp, and used it to set the pagefile to be deleted when you shut down.

BOOM, works perfect, pagefile goes exactly where i tell it too, with exactly the size i tell it to... even across my striped raid array. wahoo! :x

oh, and:

Quote:
In the little Virtual Memory applet, click on any of the drives that have anything listed in the Paging File Size (MB) column, then click on No paging file, then click Set. Then click on the drive you want to the paging file to be on, click Custom size, & enter the min & max size you want, then click Set.

ummm... DUH!

what do you think we have been doing? ;(

laugh fat32 partitions...

you are too funny.

i am normally not a pr1ck like this but alien really crawled up my @$$. he comes in and attacks us without completely understanding what we are talking about.

mind you... he IS using fat32 still... laugh

flame off.