Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
enigma_118

Does win2k need static address for DHCP server for my ISP

hi

I will appreciate if someone can help me with the following issue with DSL/Cable modem DHCP connection:

- Win2k

- I have cable modem, which is working fine with my WinMe laptop till now.

- I am using a Linksys Wake-on NIC card

- My ISP uses DHCP to assign IP addresses. But 2k is configured by default I guess to use 'AutoConfiguration IP address'. I found out how to disable it from help.

- I have also observed that regedit is showing DHCP server to be '255.255.255.255'. So I took it out.

- But now it is saying that it cannot find the DHCP server.

My question is in win2k do we have to have a static DHCP server address?

Probably I can find out my DHCP server address, but some input will be appreciated.

Okay first off DHCP is a system that assigns random IP addresses to network adapters. IE it's not static it's dynamic. Second turn back on Auto-Configuration and reset the default gateway address back to 255.....255 that's correct. Third make sure your system isn't set up for dial-up. If you have network activity (all lit lights are happy green smile and an IP address then you probably need to make sure your browser is configured to use the connection. My guess is you just have a software configuration issue. Why don't you call your ISP and have them walk you through this. It's very simple. I just don't feel like typing that much smile.