Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Minotaur

Deploying ServicePack3 on a fresh install wont install sound

Hey,

fresh install of win2k

go right to SP3 (skip2)

dont have sound card in the pc yet,

get everything up and running first then after that power off and install the soundcard (or enable it in bios) reboot and:

try and install any sound card.

wink

is it just me?

Is it a Creative Soundblaster, by any chance? There was a similar problem with Win2K/SP2, which I had. I never bothered with Creative's driver in the end; I just used the Microsoft default and it worked fine for all my particular needs.

Other users of Creative soundcards have had the same problem in the past with getting Creative's Win2K soundcard driver to fully install. I think the general conclusion was that Creative's driver was - and probably still is - faulty. So, you shouldn't necessarily blame Win2K or SP3.

yA know i just got my first live series card (ripped it out of a junk system) and i am not dissapionted works well on my dually and never gave me a single issue installing. Only thing is i can't get the damn digital output working. So far it is much better than my onboard sound.

it was an AUDIGY

and the otehr was AC97 (5.1) which came with the MSI KT3 ULTRA onboard.

neither would work. the software would install fine, but it wouldnt install the device. every reboot, it would try and install (found new hardware) and say there was a problem and get me to the desktop. like i said all software was there, just the yellow ? in device manager.

the audigy was same deal. i would put the audigy cd in and perform the tasks, and it would appear to install everything, then it asks to reboot, and i do and then it does the same thing, THEN the AUDIGY stuff launches, all the propaganda stuff after an initial install and there was no sound.

i nuked the win2k and went SP2 instead. all was fine ??!!

There's a golden rule in PC-building and configuring and that's to install any OS service pack BEFORE you install any drivers. My advice for any system builder, therefore, is to install in this order:

Win2K

SP2 or SP3

Chipset drivers

DX8.1

Other drivers and add-ons.

ya, i put sp3 on FIRST before installing the audio stuff.

i alway build the pc with the bare essentials,

AGP

NIC

only,

THEN when i am the desktop for the first time i run 4IN1 then SPx then i do the AGP card drivers. when all is working, i THEN power down and add the SOUND card and install the driversfor that. THIS is where the system broke down. it wouldnt install EITHER of the sound card devices with SP3

i did nothing extra, in methodology, i reformated and iserted sp2 instead of sp3, no problems. and YES you can AFTERWARDS deploy SP3, i have done that and have had no problems, it was only on a fresh install with sp3.

has anybody else run into this? that is my main question.

ya, you are soooo right, it is a pain in the arse. laugh

i have always found that installing with as min a possible, and then adding in stages, was the least way for problems, so the system worked for me so i always stayed with it.

so was the bx,

i am using bx, i815 i815(tulanian) and either will work with win2k like a dream,

but i spend a lot of time with the via as well too, apollo pro (intel) and kt133 kt333now and thoes need babying on a fresh install of win2k.

xp is different, i have the old p3v4x with xp and i did jack squat for additional install (still using the via drivers that xp installed) and apart from updateing the geforce drivers i havnt had to touch the xp system.

and it runs like a dream.

If the soundcard doesnt work with sp3 then try find an alternate driver. There could have been a system file that has been replaced by sp3 that conflicts with the driver. Are you sure that this is an sp3 issue?

DosFreak,

Would that be Audigy Player, or a different variant? Did you have to do any fiddling around to get the Audigy card to install fully, then?

I ask because I'm planning a second Win2K machine right now and have bought Audigy Player in anticipation but discovered that lots of people have had install problems with it, especially on Win2K and WinXP.

The Audigy Ex.

I just install the drivers. I download the latest Creative. Exteact the package using Winrar and then point Device Manager straight to the drivers. I always have problems with the Creative installer/programs.