Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

Having a LAN party need setup tips

Ok me and some m8s are having a LAN party this friday.

5 PCs:

4 running 2000 Pro

1 running Me (I know!)

One 2000 PC will be the server for most of our games and the machines will be connected to an 8 port hub, PCs have 10/100mb PCI cards installed in them.

Client for MS network, TCP/IP, and MS File/Print Sharing is in use. Workgroup is 'LOCAL' and net addresses are static starting at 192.168.0.1

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Do I need to configure anything else for faster speed? (bearing in mind im no network pro and have no server software).

Oh the Me PC (god stupid bro's thing) is there any way of making it see the 2000 file shares? (one has an NTFS partition).

ta in advance

You will also need:

Beer 3x cases

Jack Daniels 2 bottles

Chips 10x packets

Pretzels 5x packets

Pizza 2/person

Please multiply the above quantities by the number of days you will be LANning.

On the technical side, is the hub 10/100 switched? It will be faster if so.

Make sure either:

a) all individual machines have replicated accounts on the server or

B) server has guest account enabled with no password.

If you have the guest account enabled and the machines in the same subnet/mask then you should have no problems.

If you continue to have problems, try up[censored] your LMHOSTS file.

I would go with a switch instead of a hub. Large amounts of file transfers will really slow down the network. Make sure that you can run the games in a dedicated server mode.

Beer and booze is great but felex forgot that no LAN is complete unless you have a DVD player, VCR and TV. You have to have all sorts of movies: action, comedy, "bonding" (dont ask if you dont know). winklaugh You have to have something to look at while the map is changing, your eyes have gone buggy after several hours of fragging, or during the eating period.

Thanks! I have the food / DVD situation sorted laugh

We usually use the Guest account to access file shares. (The Me PC being the only problem there but we just give files to that one if needed).

Heres to many hours of drunken fragging!

Quote:

Heres to many hours of drunken fragging!

I kinda like some big ol' J's to puff on but I don't know if your boyz are down with that. Too much drinking makes bad game play.

There is a great file transfer program which many of you may already have. It is called ICQ. It can transfer files over a network very quickly. So if you end up with any problems use ICQ. Otherwise as they said, use a guest account. Or setup each of the machines with an account the same as the winme startup login. Then it will be able to access what ever the account on the win2k machines can access.