Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chason

Boot problem.....!!!!!!!!!!

frown Hai there

My problem is: When i want to start-up my computer he gifs a couple of long beeps. The computer keeps beeping 'till pull out the powercable.

What is the problem...!!!????

Please help me with this...I'm stuck....

That is most likely the motherboard telling you that there is a hardware problem.

Sometimes, when a memory stick or an agp card isnt installed properly the PC speaker will give of a string of beeps, sorta like morse code.

Long beeps, short beeps, long and short beeps together indicate a certain problem.

Here is a link for a phoenix bios

http://www.firmware.com/support/bios/beep3.htm

YOu can MAYBE consult this as I am unaware if there are any standards for these codes. Could be the processor is dead, or not seated correctly. Could be anything.

If CPU was dead there would be nothing.

and post boot codes are different for each board manufacturer.

There should be a section in your MOBO manual.

But i can tell you now it is either your memory faulty/ not seated or your Graphics card.

It won't beep for anything else.

Quote:

But i can tell you now it is either your memory faulty/ not seated or your Graphics card.

that is not exactly true i had an abit kt7 raid that would beep if there wasn't a fan pluged into the cpu fan connector. My old 440bx would beep if you install two of the exact same pci cards in slot 1 and 2 like two identical raid or network cards. My Tyan Thunder board will beep if i have the onboard scsi enabled and i have an IDE raid card in the 32 bit pci slot. so it is not just memory or grapics that cause computers to beep, it can be a lot of things.

heh, my 440BX board (an AOpen AX6BC) won't beep when it doesn't have a graphics card... It'll (try to) boot up anyway and reassign all the IRQs meaning when you finally put the graphics card back in Windows won't boot in anything but Safe Mode. That sure was a fun experience, an all nighter just to replace a faulty fan...

Quote:
Quote:

that is not exactly true i had an abit kt7 raid that would beep if there wasn't a fan pluged into the cpu fan connector. My old 440bx would beep if you install two of the exact same pci cards in slot 1 and 2 like two identical raid or network cards. My Tyan Thunder board will beep if i have the onboard scsi enabled and i have an IDE raid card in the 32 bit pci slot. so it is not just memory or grapics that cause computers to beep, it can be a lot of things.

K You are right in that case, i just never testes what makes the mobo in front of me tick ! (i mean beep)

All decent and recent MOBO's give warning if there is no fan or it is not working if they are set to do so in the bios. But i have not seen identical cards causing an error.

Anyway he is got the pointer now so should be able to sort it out.

I am not trying to prove ya wrong or anything just bring other possibilities to light. The identical card issue seemed to be with certian chipsets on the card and the shared pci reasorces it was really weird and i doubt that i will see that type of problem again withe the newer series of chipsets. The 440bx is pretty damn old.

Quote:
I am not trying to prove ya wrong or anything just bring other possibilities to light. The identical card issue seemed to be with certian chipsets on the card and the shared pci reasorces it was really weird and i doubt that i will see that type of problem again withe the newer series of chipsets. The 440bx is pretty damn old.

No worries mate, i am not offended or anything.
I just overlooked the facts.

yea and one more thing just gotta give a shout out for the old bx workhoarse I really don't think that any one chipset has been that good. It served so many uses and it was smp capable with great hardware compatability. I really wish that I didn't have to sell mine to get my Tyan Thunder board. But at least i know the person who i sold it to is getting lots of great use out of it. He put a gForce 4 in tha mutha and overclocked the FSB to 112 mhz. Anyway ramblings are now over... For now.

Quote:
yea and one more thing just gotta give a shout out for the old bx workhoarse I really don't think that any one chipset has been that good. It served so many uses and it was smp capable with great hardware compatability. I really wish that I didn't have to sell mine to get my Tyan Thunder board. But at least i know the person who i sold it to is getting lots of great use out of it. He put a gForce 4 in tha mutha and overclocked the FSB to 112 mhz. Anyway ramblings are now over... For now.

If he can afford a Gf4 he can afford a new MObo and CPU smile I am all for getting all you can out of your Cpu but there is also common sense smile