Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fgreene

NEC MultiSpin 4Xc (CDR-c302)

I have a NEC Multispin CDR-c302 (SCSI device) that I have used with an Adaptec 2940 adapter under Win95, Win98, & WinNT. I want to move to W2k; however, W2k will not recognize the NEC. When W2k boots it loops during the recognition phase. The only way I can use W2k is with the NEC removed from the system. The vender, NEC, is of no help since they refuse assistance once a device is out of warranty. I have tried for apprx 2 years to find a solution to this problem or to find another user of the MultiSpin to no avail. Usually, responses involve the question of obtaining a driver which no one seems to have. Is there a requirement for a driver in addition to the Adaptec 2940 driver to operate SCSI devices?

Any assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated

WOW! laugh I rarely have an answer to questions, but it's my turn now!

I just upgraded to a new PC (Win2k) from a Win95/WinNT sytem.

I wanted to keep my external SCSI devices, the NEC changer and a Microtek E6 scanner. I just finished connecting them and Win2k recognized both devices, even the CD titles I had in the drives.

I decided not to use my 2940, but instead purchased an Adaptec USB 2.0 controller (AUA-5100) and a USB-to-SCSI adapter (USB2-XCHANGE). I ordered both online form Adaptec's site on Monday, 2-day FedX.

I saw several articles talking about issues with termination, but it wasn't a problem. The NEC was first in my chain and I had termination at the scanner. Also, the advertisements quote up to 7 devices ;( , but there's a asterisk that references a limit of 4 devices in the chain. Either way, I only had two devices, so it wasn't a concern.

Hope this helps you make use of your changer.

James

James:

Thank You for your response.

Did W2k recognize your NEC before or after you converted to USB-SCSI?

I never transfered my 2940 adapter from the Win95 PC, so the 1st and only method I used for my SCSI devices in W2k was the USB-to-SCSI adapter.

Anyway, it seems to work... however, I haven't done any thorough testing.

One problem I always had with the NEC in Win95 was the constant shuffling of the CDs, I never could figure out why the system was constantly trying to re-learn the drives.

Have you seen this problem?

I hope I don't see it with W2k!

Good Luck

Re: Shuffling of CDs

Yes, the shuffling took place under W95, W98, WinNT, and W2k.

It must be the 2940.

However, with W2k it shuffles, and shuffles, and never stops, it bassically hangs the system.

I assume you do not have that problem using the USB conversion.

x)

Just keep your hands in your pants, they're not working on the keyboard!

Have all 1219 of your posts been this useless?

PS. Hide those system specs, that's a poor excuse for a PC.

They shuffled a couple of times after installing drivers. After rebooting, they shuffled once through and then haven't again. I have had a couple of eroneous errors while installing software fron the NEC. I got error messages saying there was not a CD in my E:\ or F:\ drives. Thes are internal CD-RW & DVD-RW drives. I can tolerate these messages if it will allow me to make use of some older SCSI peripheral devices.

I will not have time to thoroughly test the changer or scanner for a couple of weeks. Let me know if you find a better method for connecting the NEC under W2k. This seemed too just easy to pass-up and I didn't want to remove my 2940 from the old PC. I want to have access to some of the software on that PC until I complete the upgrade/transfer process.

Good luck,

James

Quote:
x)

Just keep your hands in your pants, they're not working on the keyboard!
Have all 1219 of your posts been this useless?

PS. Hide those system specs, that's a poor excuse for a PC.

hey man i'm not trying to make digs at ya
sorry if you don't see the humor in the SCSI -> USB thing

I also don't see how a dual processor computer with 303 gigs of storage is a poor excuse for a PC.
BTW thanks for reminding me that i need to update my system specs.

James:

First, I want to relay my gratitude to you for responding to my message.

I have been fraustrated for 6 months with this problem and none of the "expert" forums could provide any help. You have provided the first real, possible assistance. Thank You Very Much!!

Secondly, It a good thing that you did decide not to use the 2940. I have, been trying to use W2k/2940/NEC (as stated above) to no avail. In fact, I have regressed to NT 4 so that I could continue to use my SCSI devices (I have 6 devices on my chain.), the NEC library is of value to me. By the way, XP/2940/NEC will not work either!

I think I will acquire a USB to SCSI adapter and give it a try.

Thanks Again