Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

arcldr.exe and arcsetup.exe... What are they?

Can anyone tell me what arcldr.exe and arcsetup.exe are please, as I don't like unknown files sitting in the root of my c: drive.

Thanks for the links, I think those files must have been left over from my ME/2000 dual boot setup.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what arcldr.exe and arcsetup.exe are please, as I don't like unknown files sitting in the root of my c: drive.

I think that they are used to create the boot path or paths for your boot.ini file.

Arcldr.exe and arcsetup.exe are indeed used for dual booting, but only on an Alpha-architecture machine running the ARC (Advanced Risc Computing) console. Part of the ARC standard is identifying boot paths like multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0). These paths are identified in an Alpha machine's BIOS, or on an x86 machine's boot.ini file. You won't need the files on an Intel or AMD machine. I have NO IDEA why Win2k and XP install the files. It's not as if those operating systems could possibly run on an Alpha machine anyway... It's probably the same reason that Win2k's default install directory is /WINNT...