Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Budious

NFS4 render options

Im using a fresh install of 2K Pro SP3 slipstreamed. I got NFS4:High Stakes to install fine using instructions I find in your compatibility pages, but however when running the 3d device setup im only given the option of software rendering. Im using a MSI GF3 card with the 29.42 WHQL drivers from nvidia site. How can I get hardware rendering running?

Modify the shortcut for NFS4 so that you have a -d3d1 beside it.

eg. C:\Need4\Nfshs.exe -d3d1

Then run the game, the 3D setup doesn't work always in 2000.

You may also want to grab this file,

http://www.geocities.com/atimobility/files/hsfix.zip

It will make High Stakes make use of DX7 instead of DX6, inside the ZIP is the NFS5 Direct3D driver. It made a HUGE difference in speed with my Radeon 8500 and GeForce2MX.

Ok well I try this,

"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed High Stakes\nfshs.exe -d3d1"

But all I get is,

! The file C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed High Stakes\nfshs.exe -d3d1 cannot be found.

It wont let me modify or make a new shortcut with the -d3d1

Here's a screenshot of my NFS4 registry entries, they point to software mode, is there a way I can change it here?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mmoldavan/images/nfs4reg.jpg

how'd u guys get that far..

after i install and 3d setup fails...

all i find in my registry is:

3d device description (no entry for this)

install path

version

i have a seperate entry for 3dsetup...lists 15 cards.

1.5.7.0. is my 3d setup version ('99)

EDIT: ok i updated my 3d setup file to a newer version and it detected my card fine.

But now when i try to run high stakes in 98 or 95 compatibility mode...

i get a message that says warning #2 : your files are corrupted please re-install the game. This is as far as i got over a year ago now frown

Quote:
Ok well I try this,

"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed High Stakes\nfshs.exe -d3d1"

ok well i can see your prob right there the path and executable have to be inside the quotes and the switches outside the quotes. like this:

"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed High Stakes\nfshs.exe" -d3d1

well i changed the dx setting to the d3d as it says on this site if your card was not recognized (mine was tho).

and now...IT WORKS!!

AWESOME -go win2k!- and thanks for inspiring me again with this thread. smile

Well my only problem is I tried setting the Thrash driver to D3D, however when I do this when I try and run the game I get the message "Need for Speed files are corrupted; please re-install." Returning the setting to softtri makes the game operable again w/o a reinstall.

I used the -d3d1 outside the qoutes and the shortcut mod works now, but the game is still in software render since the above thrash driver mod gives me the error.

under hardware acceleration it should be:

0*00000001 (1) instead of 0*00000000 (0)

however i'm not sure forcing the issue is such a good idea.

edit: and group would be set to d3d

hehe, ok silly error on my part, i put in D3D as the value, but i went back and put in d3d and it worked fine.

Great it works for everybody, I still keep 9x around for this crap, while with some effort you can get High Stakes working, its just better under XP, and I am going to work really hard to get a full patch so we just install the damn thing under 2000.