Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

Gaming performance with Windows 2000 Server

How does gaming performance compare between Windows 2000 Pro, Server and Advanced Server. I am curious, since the Server editions have more functionality do they perform a significantly slower than Professional?

Server same as pro. With a powerful enough system leaving the extra services on will not degrade performance...unless you have 100+ users pulling stuff off your server. laugh

I've been fiddling around with Windows 2000 Server edition and been having weird problems everywhere. Even after installing when I try to launch some programs I get weird application errors like this application cannot execute due to reference error [insert hex code here]. If I restart the PC the errors go away but come back later on say a later reboot. I tried with and without SP3. The whole server OS feels really unstable, more so than Millennium. I also got some out of memory error messages when trying to launch Media Player. Also I tried opening some wave files off the hard disk and Windows said the file was corrupt, but I rebooted into Pro and all was good. None of these errors occur in Pro.

Also for some reason on the logon screen the Shutdown command is greyed out, why is that?

Also Win2k server correctly identifies my Primary Slave 20GB HDD, where as Win2k Pro only picks it up as 8GB.

Hmm. the SHUTDOWN problem is a registry tweak.

As far as stability I can't help ya there. Pro has been the same as Server as far as stability goes in all kinds of hardware since they are pretty much the same OS...just that server has more tacken. on.

Could you give me the information on how to fix that shutdown problem? I searched the net and came up with nothing.

perhaps if you are running server as a workstation you did not buy it and your download is somehow corrupted. Not saying you pirated it but if you did that could definatly be the issue. I have seen friends with pirated softaware that had weird errors like these. But hey you get what you pay for.

Quote:
Could you give me the information on how to fix that shutdown problem? I searched the net and came up with nothing.

It's in Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> Shutdown: Allow system to be shutdown without having to log on