Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zoooom

Athlon xp 1800+ wont boot on true clock speed...

If I try to run win2k at the optimal setting in the bios for the chip it complains while booting about not being able to access a file. When I set it to a lower setting ( 1.1 g ) it boots ok. Running win2k sp3

Is this a new system? Is this a fresh install? It could be a poor voltage condition, bad memory, etc. See if there is a "PC Health Status" function or something similar in the BIOS and see what it reports for your voltage rails, fan speeds, and temps.

Sounds like it could be a memory stick.

Do you have a number of sticks that you can temporarily swap?

ie: 2 x 256MB - try using just one.

I had a bad stick in my rig, and it gave me random lockups on boot. Is the file that it cannot find constant or random?

When you set the lower clock speed are you affecting the FSB or the multiplier on the chip? If you are effecting the fsb most likely its memory.

The hardware monitor in my bios shows normal conditions... except I think the fan may be running a bit slow ( 4500 rpm.. its a valcano 6 ).

Yup fresh install of windows 2000. I got one stick of pc2700 from mushkin. Maybe ill put some pc133 in there and see if it does it then. Im sure i can dig one up. The reason I had to reinstall was because my pc was acting crazy... and some system files got overwritten and it wasnt able to boot.

8) I sincerely hope you're not gonna try PC133: it's SDR SDRAM, not DDR. It should not be put in a DDR slot or you'll cause more problems.

Quote:
8) I sincerely hope you're not gonna try PC133: it's SDR SDRAM, not DDR. It should not be put in a DDR slot or you'll cause more problems.

Especially when it won't fit smile

Hey gimme a break ok. I know you cannot fit sdram in ddr slots. Some mobo's come with ddr slots and sdram slots. After looking at mine... I realize that its not one of them. I thought it did though because my friend has a mobo that did so I assumed mine did. Ill borrow some other ddr.

<-- Imagines self trying to force sdram into ddr slot > smile