Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
reversing_drive

Win2K LAN setup NOT WORKING, using ISA NIC's

Here's what i've got:

Two Computers running Win2K SP3.

#1 Computer Name: DELL (Network ID)

#2 Computer Name: HP

(Also happens to be their model, but i'm talking about their, identifiable network name, i named them after what they are)

Workgroup: IDAVALL (For both computers)

#1(DELL)

ISA slot Network Card - Accton EN1660 PnP LAN Card (Legacy Mode)

#2(HP)

ISA slot Network Card - NE 2000 Compatible (manufactured by Novell/Anthem)

Computers are connected by 30m (60ft) of Coaxle (The stiff Black Cable type with metal screw ends). One Cable, two computers only, no hub, T-junctions or nodes.

Problem, well NIC's are installed fine, LAN engaged at logon, except i can't find the other computer under "My Network Places", I try using find computer option and type in either DELL or HP, though no luck frown , i have allowed zip drives, Cd/RW drives and partions to be shared, though they only show up under "My network Places" on the computer that is sharing that Hardware not the other!

Both computers are logged on as Administrator, both have the little black LAN icon in taskbar, with speed 10mbps. Sent 0 packets, Received 0 packets. (Sometimes packets sent can be up to 60-70, however packets received is ALLWAYS 0 at both ends).

Components checked for both include:

Client for Microsoft Networks

File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Do any other protocols need to be used or something ???

PLEASE HELP. smile

PS is networking easier in Win98SE? 'cos both computers have Win98 installed in hidden partitions for dual boot setup.

Cheers, :P

Are both computers using the same IP range and subnet mask? With Win2k if they were both set to DHCP they should detect each other properly, but I have found it best to just assign a static IP to each computer.

BTW, do you have to "terminate" the BNC type cable in a network similar to SCSI? If you have the RJ45 jacks on both NIC cards I would personally switch to CAT5 crossover cable.

/clutch

No cannot ping each other (Using cmd-box typing "ping 192.168.0.2"

/CheekyMonkey

Full Computer Name: DELL

Workgroup: IDAVALL

IP adress: 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

DNS adress: 192.168.0.1

WINS adress: 192.168.0.1

Full Computer Name: HP

Workgroup: IDAVALL

IP adress: 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

DNS adress: 192.168.0.1

WINS adress: 192.168.0.1

Is that right? BTW that is under TCP/IP, though isn't another protocol primarily used for LAN networking?

Yeah i originally didn't use the T junction connectors, but i read somewhere that it is quite important, so the T junction connectors are connected to the back of the BNC on one side of the T the cable connects on the other There is a plug screwed on.

One card has RJ45 but the other does not frown

Is there a jumper or something that has to be set to tell the computer which one (BNC or RJ45) is being used?

How do you set to DHCP?

Thanks for the feedback, Cheers.

PROBLEM SOLVERED laugh

Read somewhere, interesting website actually...

The Importance of grounding the terminator at one end of the network, which is often poorly documented!

So i took a cable from a car stereo, screwwed it to the case of one of the computers, and the other end to the terminator on that computer.

Bob's my uncle and voyla IT WORKS!!!!

Cheers,

Thanks for tips and feedback, Im off to play some LAN Games laugh