Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
thekourier

TV Tuner card flickers with new Athlon XP 2000

I haven't been able to figure this one out yet. I recently upgraded my CPU from a Duron 750 (OC'd to 900) to an Athlon XP 2000 (Palamino). I've got a generic BT878 PCI TV tuner/recorder card. I like to record a lot of my favorite programs to DIVX.

Anyway, I was having no problems before upgrading my processor, but now the TV picture will flicker randomly and quite often, to the point at which the recording is unusable.

I thought it might be a problem with interrupts so I isolated the card so it has it's own IRQ, but the problem still exists. Never had a single problem before. Any suggestions?

EPOX 8k3a+ motherboard

Athlon XP 2000 CPU not overclocked

512 MB Samsung RAM

2 x 40 GB WD drives on HPT 372 RAID

GeForce 256 SDR AGP card

What speed is your PCI bus running at?

I had a TV card (LifeView '98 FM) that would clap out when I upped the clock speed to 83mHz but would run fine at 66, 75, 100, 133 etc.

Not only would it not work, it's media codecs would lock all video-playback function.

Check that the card can handle your PCI bus speeds.

Even though you aren't overclocking, your bus speed could be outside its spec.

Thanks for the suggestion. The PCI bus is running at 66Mhz, the same under both the Duron and the Athlon. I tried overclocking the bus and it actually seemed to improve things a tiny bit.

I'm wondering now if it might be RFI noise interference coming off the CPU. Whenever I do something complicated with the CPU, like a stress test or something, the video gets much worse. The CPU is also running pretty hot, 55 degrees, I'm going to set up watercooling soon, so maybe that might fix it. Just a very strange problem. Never had this happen before.

Quote:
What speed is your PCI bus running at?

I had a TV card (LifeView '98 FM) that would clap out when I upped the clock speed to 83mHz but would run fine at 66, 75, 100, 133 etc.

Not only would it not work, it's media codecs would lock all video-playback function.

Check that the card can handle your PCI bus speeds.

Even though you aren't overclocking, your bus speed could be outside its spec.