Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Metallisoft

Changed Win2k Server name and now can't file share

I needed to change the machine name, so I disconnected all the mapped drives from the clients, jumped on the server, changed the name, then rebooted.

Then I tried to browse the server's shares from the clients. (98se) through Net 'hood. When I attempt to open the server's icon, it want's a password for IPC$. I never set one, nor saw this dialog previously. I tried to manually map a drive to a share that was already available and it came up with a password too, which I never set. No shares on the server have passwords. All shares have 'Everyone' with Full Control.

So I removed all the shares on the server, then recreated them, thinking that like user accounts, each one is unique and I threw it off by changing the server name. Tried to browse shares...still asks for an IPC$ password, or an password for the resource as I attempt to Map Drive.

I unchecked File Sharing in the Network settings, rebooted, then rechecked it, and added a few shares...and still the shares are asking me for a password I didn't set.

So next I uninstalled File sharing, rebooted, then reinstalled it, added a share, and I still can't browse shares nor map a drive.

This server is a standalone, not part of a domain, not Active directory..not even NTFS.

Logon name for my client has an account on the server, partially coincidence...the other client doesn't use the account I made for her. I just reloaded her machine with win98se (She had WinME ::barf: smile

The server is able to browse shares of the 98 machine, copy files, etc just fine. The server's IIS process works, I can pcAnywhere to it as well.

Anyone?

You mean kill the user account? That's the only authentication that could be used. There is not a machine account (unless one is created for me when I initially connected when I loaded the server, but I don't think that's the case?)

Wiped users and recreated, she can get back in. Odd, I don't recall her even using the proper account name. Why did share SID 'corrupt' when I'm not even on AD/NTFS? Plain old Sharing relies on local user accounts?

I can understand in my environment, with AD/NTFS having to recreate login's...but oh well! It's working again.

when u change the name of machines in a server group the old

"trusts" are retained and have to be broken.

im glad it's all better

windows 98 can not understand a windows 2000 share on share permission basis.....the Win98 machine have to logon to the server first before trying to access the share..or you have to enable the guest account on the server.

If the user logged on to the win98 machine with the same password as the account you have set up for the share on the server then it is ok if the paswords match..

I hope this will help laugh

ahh ok, so 98 HAS to logon with an account that is on the server, even if not logging onto the domain.

So...she must have been using the 2k account after all.